Thread: HELP! My DS has a flat head...

Enchanted Guest

Unhappy HELP! My DS has a flat head...

Ok, my little man really prefers his right side and we can't get him to sleep to his left (not very often). His head is getting very very flat and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for me to try?!?

We have tried putting him up the other end of his cot and moving it around the room and it's not working!! I can't think of anything else to try!

I can sympathise, Nicholas had a strong preference for the right side of his head for months. Turning his bed around really helped us, but it's obviously not helping you!

Have you tried a sleep positioner? You put him on his left, and it will tilt his head to the left. I do it with two rolled up nappies, one on either side of him. But you can get the real thing from a baby shop. It looks awful for them at first, but it will help.

Lots of tummy time too, and when he's on his back dangling toys to his left.

we had the same problem, i like sez said rolled up a nappy and placed it so her head laid the other way, but as she got stronger this didnt work, we saw a paed chiro at 8 weekd to loosen up her neck it worked but continued to get her to face the other way, i ended up using a heat pack to ever so slightly roll her on her side so her head flopped that way we wanted, definatly get it sorted as it never really recovers, you can still see sophie has a slight flat spot on her RHS

Hi Oshani,

Your gorgeous little man might have some tension/strain in his neck muscles. It's really very common and doesn't necessarily cause bubs any pain, but can restrict the freedom with which they turn their head to the left or right leading to a preference for one side and therefore a flat spot can form on their soft little head.

The cause is often birth-related. This doesn't mean they were harmed during birth, just that it's a bit of a squishy ride on the way out and their head is designed to mould and compress in order to fit through the birth canal. The head is also designed to reshape itself, and does so throughout the first year of life, but developing a flatspot might require some hands-on attention from an osteopath or physio.

Hope that's not an info overload!! HTH

Eleanor used to prefer one side and had a flat head and now at nearly 10months old you wouldn't know she did have one.
    We see a physio that was done through the child nurse. Maybe see if they can help you as the physio gave us lots of ideas on what to do.
    Also try hold your little one with the flat bit not resting on you. Tummy time as well if he doesn't like it rest him on your tummy as they don't mind that as much or just across your arms or knees for a while.

Hi Oshani,
    My little girl has the same problem, prefers to look right and was developing a flat spot- she was also becoming quite unsettled and was finding it really painful to have her arms lifted to change. We see an Osteopath who has advised me that it is related to the muscles in her neck and back- after the first session she was more able to look Left, and I change her position once she is settled. Now, after the third session, she is turning to the left alot more on her own and the flat spot is diminishing.
    Also losts more tummy time and a change of position of the cot to encourage her to look left has helped!
    Hope that helps!

Enchanted Guest

Thanks heaps everyone for all of your advice. Oscar is booked into a Chiropractor on Monday morning to see if they can help us! I will let you all know how we go... fingers crossed it helps and we can get a lovely shaped head again!

That's great, be sure to keep us up-to-date with Oscar's progress

oh I posted on this thismorning, didn't even think of scrolling down! silly me lol

Enchanted Guest

Update- Oscar went to the chiro yesterday and his neck is MUCH better already! She said his muscles were very tight around his neck and loosened them up. He has been turning his head heaps more to the left which is great! We are going back Thursday and she will do a few more adjustments and then fingers crossed we will be right! YEY!

ChristieN Guest

Hi Dani,

Glad to hear the chiro paid off I'd be interested to see how they dealt with lil Oscar. All I can envision is the neck cracking things they do to us adults LOL

Both my DD and DS suffered a bit of a flat head. While my daughter was in hospital, for an unrelated problem, we were given a lil foam ring for her to rest her head in when she slept and that fixed the problem right up. We then used it with DS when he started showing signs of the flat head.

I'm sure Oscar's head will be lovely and round in no time
    Last edited by ChristieN; November 6th, 2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: clarifying my bad communication :P

** bump **

How's your little man going Dani?