Thread: Help my sisters 3 month old not pooing enough

Bec Guest

Default Help my sisters 3 month old not pooing enough

Hello girls,

I am asking this for my sister so bare with me.

She has a little girl who is about 3 months old and she cries alot and I found out last night that she poos every 5 days! now this cannot be normal.

she is also BF and that is all I can think of to tell you.

Please help me if you can? or if you have any advice or should she see a peditrican?

Thanks in advance

Bec

Hi Bec, I was told by my ECHN that it is normal for a bf baby to poo every 3-5 days, so not every day. Matilda got constipation when she was 6 weeks old & we gave her some water in a bottle to help, but she wasn't that into it.

Another remedy that they use for constipation include diluted prune juice with cooled boiled water, cooled boiled water (around 100mls) with 1/2 tsp of brown sugar in it. But I guess I wouldn't want to be the one saying her baby is constipated without getting a nurse or GP to say that was the problem ykwim? Because for some babies, pooing every 3-5 days is normal :-k

Anyway...HTH!

hi Bec, going for 5 days without a poo is perfectly normal for a breastfed baby. My sister's DS once went 10 days and the nurse wasn't really concerned. Constipation in babies is more about the texture and consistency of the poo rather than how often they do do it. If your nephew is doing poos that are soft and he isn't straining then they're ok. If he's straining and his poos are like hard little pebbles the he's probably contispated.

I agree with the other girls have said. If the poo is not hard then she is not constipated.

Bec

I just had another thought. Make sure that she is getting enough to eat. EG putting on weight.

Bec Guest

Thanks everyone,

I will ask about the pooing thing and then decide where to go from there.

You have all been very helpful.

Bec

My MCHN said its perfectly normal for breastfed babies to go anything up to 10 days between poo's without being constipated.

As long as she's still getting plenty of wet nappies, is happy, growing etc.

Bec, Emma has gone 6 days without pooing and was fine! Then other times she will poo every day (guess which one I prefer ) It is fine in BF bubs, but it can seem really worrying at the time!

Maria went every 4 days over the hot Christmas/New Year period, she was fine, and is getting back to her normal now that the weather is cooler

Bec Guest

Thanks again girls,

Her poo has been alittle normal and looking slightly constipated, so I gave her the advice of water or prune juice & water.

I am not to sure how she is now, I will see her tonight.

My sister never had this problem with her first child and he did not cry as much as Jayne does lol

I should get my sister to join this forum but she is not that good on compuers I dont think so I have to find all the info for her lol

Thanks heaps

Bec

Bec, just to add to this conversation, Pup is totally BF and up to recenlty when I started him on solids (about 2 weeks ago), he pooed every 10 - 12 days. He has been like this for months. He was a bit ratty the day before the poo and would be excellent after, but the poos were always soft and all over the place!!

Now he's on solids (1 to 1.5 tablesppons/day), he is pooing every 5 - 7 days.

Hayseed