Thread: HELP! Nappy area thrush.............

Kirsty77 Guest

Default HELP! Nappy area thrush.............

Hey girls and guys

Gemma has thrush on her nappy area and I've bought the cream for it and have only started using it today but its getting a little bit worse!She has to go into daycare all day tomorrow and I'm worried.Director of daycare said it should be fine for her to attend but she seemed hesitant.Should I stay home with her tomorrow till its a bit better, its just that I'm working out of town tomorrow and am uncontactable.

Also any advice about thrush would be great as I'm totally clueless!

Hi Kirsty,
    The poor little thing - it hurts them l ike snot!!
    Jenna has just gotten over this. I refused to believe it was thrush (I dont know why I thought it was such a big deal...) but after 2 weeks, and the little red spots flaring up with every pooey nappy that stayed on for longer than 1 minute, I gave in and went to the pharmacy for the cream.
    I just got the cheapest cream there - not the one with zinc oxide in it for babies as we use cloth and its a no-no for anything with fleece.

Anyway - You need to give her plenty of nappy off time when ever you can, I would think a day off would be a nice thing, but not neccessary.
    The cream only needs to be applied 2-3 times during the day, so make sure her nappy area is cleaned well in the morning, and put the cream on generously, then she should just need it wiped with pooey nappies. I would even ask the daycare centre not to wipe wee nappies - just leave them. They could put the cream on once, and then you do again at night. <ake sure the are is cleaned and dried.
    Are you using cloth nappies? If so, everything needs to go through a hot wash, and lots of time in the sun to kill any remaining bugs.

I'm sure its getting better, it may just take a day or so to turn the corner. I think Jenna's actually cleared up completely within 2 days!! I feel so bad not having done anything about it sooner. Oh - and even once it clears up you have to keep putting the cream on 1-2 times a day for 2 weeks.

Fi

Kirsty77 Guest

Thanks for the quick response Fi! I really don't know if I should take the day off.I'm just so worried that it might get worse tomorrow and they won't be able to get ahold of me! Maybe I should.Beleive it or not I've never had thrush myself(that I know of) so I don't know anything about it!So it does hurt them?Awww I hope not!If it does it explains why today shes been a little grump! We use disposables.Maybe I should take the day off for lots of nappy free time.

I hope it clears up soon Kirsty! I dont know if it would hurt, I guess if she has been grumpy its a sign that it does. The nappy free time sounds like it would be a big relief..

Kirsty I just googled and found this for you

Treating thrush on a skin rash
    You will need to see your doctor to get a special cream for the rash, and sometimes the doctor will also give you a treatment that needs to be taken by mouth to reduce the amount of candida in the gut.

If you are using cloth nappies, change them often and wash using soap powders which are labelled for sensitive skin. Drying them in a tumble dryer, if you have one, may make them softer than drying in the sun. Avoid using plastic pants whenever possible.

Some parents find the following helpful although we know of no research to support the ideas. For washing buttocks - a solution of bicarbonate of soda - 1 teaspoon to 600 mls of water. Use a cup of vinegar in the rinse water when washing nappies.

Hope that helps
    Jess

It is really, really painful Jenna would scream as we wiped her "zone". I have only ever had thrush myself once - and that was after sex at the start of my lost pregnancy a couple of months ago. OMG - I am soooo pleased I'm not a regular suffferer!!! Talk about itchy!

Thrush is really characterised by little red dots - they look liek pimples without any puss. Jenna's were all over her bits, but after a couple of days and our normal rash cream (Weleda) it all but cleared up - so we thought it was beat. But it just kep coming back again and again, even though we had hot washed all her nappies.

I dont think it needs a trip to the dr, if you are sure thats what it is, then just go to the pharmacy and buy the cream, you actually dont even need to speak to the pharmacist!! it look very common actually.

Just make sure you clean your hands after every nappy cahnge, as you dont want to introduce the bug to her tummy/mouth or to you either.
    You really dont have to take a day off.... it only hurts when wiped or weed on, and if you are using the cream ith the zincoxide in it, that should give the sopts a good barrier against more wee and poo.

Fi

Poor Gemma!!! Hope she's feeling better Kirsty and the thrush is starting to go away..
    Smother her with kisses from Me and Jack!! :smt058 (Although I'm sure that won't be hard for you!!!)
    Did u end up staying home with her?

Hope she is starting to feel a bit better!!!!

Kirsty77 Guest

Yeh I'm at home! I couldn't bare to send her to daycare and I would have been in Gympie today which is 2 hours away and no way of getting back to her if daycare rang so Corey and I decided I'd just stay home.It was starting to look better but she did a poo and it went up the front!So now its all red and irritated again!Damn! And she was up at 3am this moring so I got minimal sleep!And Corey was sick last night!throwing up everywhere!Ahhh now I'm mummy to him as well! ](*,) Just hope that it clears up a bit more tonight.