Thread: Help, need to move son back into own bed

Default Help, need to move son back into own bed

My son is 19 months old. We recently moved to a new town and unfortunately Pikelet now refuses to sleep in his own bed. We have Speedbump coming in early August and I need to get Pikelet back into his own room ASAP (for my sanity if nothing else). Oh, my husband CAN'T handle Pikelet crying (at all!!). Any suggestions?

My advice (never having been there before) is to take it slow and build his confidence in sleeping in his own bed. After all, he is probably unsettled from the move and needs reassurance. Do you fit in there too? You could try lying with him for day naps, reading stories on that bed, playing with toys there etc. Make sure you have a good bedtime routine to wind him down into sleep there. The more he knows what to expect the more confident he will be. Has he got any comfort items like a favourite toy to sleep with? Maybe the toy could start 'having day naps' there. You could put in a nightlight and some music on to help him settle in. Make sure he knows you are close and will come if he gets upset and he will get his confidence back.
    I hope this helps.

krysalyss has given some great advice! When we put my eldest DS into a toddler bed I got him to set it up with me and help put sheets and a doona on it and we put some teddies in there to go to "sleep". We made a fun game of him hopping into his bed and pretending to sleep too. One night I put him in it and laid in it next to him until he got sleepy, I was going to stay with him until he fell asleep, but the phone rang ! By the time I hung up the phone I realised my DS hadn't cried so I didn't go back in. He never needed help again!

I'm sure it's not that easy for everyone, but definitely make bedtime a fun, positive experience and he will eventually get there. Also, do you have a nightlight? This may help too.

Wishing you the best of luck! :goodluck2:

I have always been advised - make the plan and stick to it - however at 2am in the morning after toddler has been crying for 30mins - very hard

I would also suggest putting him in his own bed at the beginning of the night and sitting with him until dopey/asleep for a start, and then after a couple of nights, leaving earlier saying you will be back in a minute to check - and do check etc

I had the same issue when my DS was around that age with DD in my tum. we also ended up putting a spare cot mattress on the floor of our room and told him if he wanted to sleep in our room, he could sleep on that mattress. protest, then he slept on it, and then once out of our bed, back to his etc.

Good luck - it isn't easy when you are trying to get sleep yourself - especially if DH can't handle the crying in the night or won't get up - like mine too grrr.

Thank you. Really helpful. I probably have not been very consistent due to the unpacking and general chaos of the move and it has added to his stress. Things have settled down a lot and I will definitely try your suggestions. Thanks again.