Thread: help! please

Default help! please

Hi everyone,

I've been sick since Saturday... started with a fever that went to 12 hours until I finally took panadol and then it slowed down. I only took the panadol because i had such a terrible headache and couldn't sleep.

IN the morning I thought I had tonsillitis. super sore throat with trouble swallowing and I also had a blocked nose (no snot though) and sore legs.

I basically was feeling miserable.

By monday, the lack of sleep made me delirious but other than a cough I was ok.

Yesterday I was feeling pretty yuck. just tired and sick... then around 3pm I started getting an earache and by the time DH got home at 5.45pm the ear ache was so painful that I was in tears.

I went to the GP and he haveme some ear drops and I also ear candled the sore ear..... but the pain only stopped with panadol.

so today I have, one deaf ear with pain, and a cough and what I think is a sinus infection becuase I now can't taste anything or smell anything plus the snot is not a pleasant colour.

so as gross and miserable as I have been.... I have had to obviously keep feeding Luxxe and looking after her because DH had to work and we have no family here.

I've been going around with a teatowel wrapped around my head so I won't cough or breathe germs on her.

BUt this morning she has a temperature.

I'm so scared.

I don't want my baby to be sick.

I certainly don't want her to feel as crappy as I have been.

can been there done that mums PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with advice on how to deal with what may be coming?

how do I deal with fevers, earaches, tonsillitis, etc in a 6 month old??

I'm going to call the naturopath now to see if there is anything they can offer.

I'm totally on the verge of freaking out.

I just feel so guilty and worried.

any help and advice would be totally appreciated.

xxx
    Laura

Tigergirl1980 Guest

If she has a fever panadol and try and keep her cool. Other than that I don't know definitely contact your naturopath if that's the way you want to go or your GP.

ETA: Don't feel guilty, it's inevitable that she's going to get sick when you're sick and vice versa, it simply can't be helped no matter how much you try to prevent it.

WOW firstly i have to say you have done soo well to have a 6 m/o who has not yet been sick T had a cold at around 6 weeks which i dont believe was any fault of mine and it was just awfull!
    as tigergirl said there is no need to feel guilty these things will happen and it is definately NOT your fault i can only sugest that perhaps you buy some infant pentavite (liquid multivitamin) they have one which can be taken from just 3 months of course this wont make her better neither will it stop her from getting sick but it just may give her a bit of extra immune support and perhaps help her get better sooner!
    also do you breast fed her ? i think it helps a bit if you include lots of garlic in your diet as it is a natural antibiotic and some of it will be passed through your milk
    best of luck i hope this passes quickly for you and her take care

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oh, you could also ring your MCHN if you have one and see if she has any suggestions. Also plenty of fluids, if she's breastfed offer more feeds. If she gets a blocked nose take her and sit with her in a steamy bathroom but only do this if her fever has gone down.

If her temp is over 39 you need to call your GP.

You might be surprised!! Babies tend to get sick and then better much quicker than us adults, and if you are breastfeeding her, all that milk will contain the antibodies you are making to fight the cold off, so she is even better off!
    Dont be stressed about it. Keep an eye on her fluids and her poos and wees. Give her some panadol if she's distressed, but dont jump in and do it if she's just a little hot.
    When we got gastro as a family shane and I were as sick as dogs. Jenna just spewed a couple of times, and had a couple of runny nappies - that was it! It was amazing that it affected her so little.
    Make sure you keep giving cuddles to your little one as they may get upset if mummy is pulling away all the time.

she will be fine - and if you get worried, pop off to the dr!

Like Fi has said Laura your booby milk will be helping her to fight off any bug she has picked up...its has everything she needs. You are doing a great job feeling ill and being such a great mummy. Maybe a good day for movies and cuddles.

Jo

Matilda had tonsilitis and an ear infection at 6 months. Like the others have said, keep her fluids up. I also made ice blocks for her with milk (EBM or formula) so she could have something soothing. If she is on solids, offer but don't expect much. Panadol to help with pain relief & fever is okay for a few days. I had to alternate it for 24 hours with neurophen because Matilda's temp wasn't going down with panadol, but I would only do that for a day or so to not overwhelm their systems with drugs. I used homeopathic drops to help with pain & fever relief, you can get them at the chemist Brauer's. I used those to help as well and after the first 24 hours & the fever was down I would stop neurofen and only use panadol before bed to help keep that pain free time with her ears.

*hugs* its awful being sick & when your little one gets sick as well its so hard.

thanks heaps everyone!!

I so totally appreciate the advice and support.

Well Luxxe still has a low grade fever, so I haven't given her anything yet... thought i'd wait and see if it got worse.

I figure the fever must be doing some germ busting and as she's been sleeping i'd leave her un-medicated.

SHe's slept for the last 4 hours... waking only for a quick feed at the 2 hour mark and down for another 2.

I've had her sleeping on my nap so i could keep an eye on her.

I'll crank up the garlic and vitamin C and I might send Dh off to the checmist for the pluravit.

I've got some herbal tonic that the naturopath gave me a while ago. she SAId to give it when I thought she needed an extra immune boost.... so i've been giving it to her for the last few days.

she's been awake for about half an hour and is very chirpy and talking heaps.

I hope you are all right about the little ones not getting as sick as us. Also I've not been sleeping well and have a feeling that is what got me so under the weather.

anyway - THANKYOU!!!!! so much

xxx
    L

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Sounds like you're doing everything right Laura

Laura I just wanted to say that babies will get sick in a baby way, so whatever you have she will have the baby version (and maybe less even being breastfed). I also worry heaps and hate having a sick bub. Tilly never got sick until she was 2 and a half, so when coco got sick at 5 months I didn't cope too well!
    Im thinking of you anyway, and hope Luxxe's temp has gone. Hope you're feeling better too.
    Just another thing, they say when breastfeeding, bub is exposed tothe illness practicaly before we even have symptoms. I think this helps with their immunity! (I did my research when coco was getting sick)! xoxo