Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE - really bad nappy rash

Unhappy HELP PLEASE - really bad nappy rash

I am in a big panic. Emma has been getting red nappy rashes the last couple of weeks, here & there, but they clear up quickly & haven't seemed to bother her too much. But today it is REALLY bad, I just don't know what to do. She is pooing more than usual & afterwards really red. I have her nappy off now & will leave it off as long as I can, but I just had a close look & there are patches of raw skin. I feel like the worst Mum in the world.

I just don't know why or what to do. Until the last few weeks she had never had a hint of nappy rash. I have sudocrem & have been using it & it helps, but I am beside myself about what to do about it.

Please help!!

Kirsty77 Guest

Its probably a bit of thrush as well Linda. I use Dakotzin(sp) on Gemma its like sudocream but a bit thicker and has anti-fungal cream in it. A few of the girls from BB recommended it and its fantastic.

Linda, first of all don't feel bad.....it happens to the most well tended babies......

Like Kirsty says, there may be a touch of fungal too, so chose a cream that has some anti-fungal as well.

To heal the soreness you need a mix of the antifungal and the barrier cream.

Plus nappy free time, as you're doing.....

It seems to vary from baby to baby too......Olivia used to get shocking bum rash and zinc and benzoin worked on her, but it has no effect on Charlie at all.....for him I use Canestan topped with PawPaw........go figure......LOL!

Thanks so much for the fast replies.

So do I need to know for sure that it could be fungal as well or can I just assume that it is & get an antifungal cream. ie: will it hurt to treat that if it isn't?

Also, there are no overnight chemists here, so should I just use the sudocrem tonight? Will that still help in the meantime??

She is in the bath quite happy now (with her Daddy of course ) but I'm dreading dressing her afterwards.

Try - evertime u change nappy to put cornflour down there - to make it easier use a old talcom powder bottle. it helps alot to prevent and cure nappy rash!

Linda, don't feel bad. you should see Paige's bottom when she is teething - those teething poos give her little bottom a hard time and she was even had blisters that bust and bleed. I have found Sudocreme to be fantastic too. I just slather it on really thick and it usually does the trick.

Angus used to get nappy rash so bad sometimes that he would bleed. I tried heaps of different creams and found the curash one to be the best for his skin.
    Interestingly enough the J&J one was better for Masons bottom, the sudocreme made his worse

Abbey had really bad nappy rash a while ago and we tried sudocream and bepthanan (sp) but they didn't help...the chemist said to try daktozin which worked great and quickly too.. she didn't see her to check if it was fungal or not so i don't think it matters.. hope it clears up soon!

Thanks again everyone. At her last nappy change it looked a little less red. I put heaps of sudocrem on but I will definitely go & get some daktozin tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice! What would I do without you all???

I found when my littlest got rashes (he has ear infections that burst his eardrums every 3 weeks, and was on antibiotics nearly constantly until 13 months old when he had grommets surgically implanted in his eardrums) the antibiotics made his poos horrid, and they burnt his tender bottom.
    If it is fungal, either then you will need a fungal cream, you can get some good ones from the chemists that have a barrier cream in them, but if it is not spotty and fungally, then the best thing is nappy free time in some gentle sunlight, and i swear on johnsons cornstarch powder.
    I tried all kinds of creams, but the corn starch powder actually keeps their bottoms dry, and allows their skin to breath beneath the nappy, so the skin can heal, even if their skin is bleeding, it works miracles.
    All the best hun, it happens to every mother.

Eleshia_V Guest

I use a couple of products from Aromababy and i swear they are the best i've ever come across! One is a Nappy change cream which we use just for general use in between nappy changes, the other one is Barrier Balm cream, which i find not only acts as a barrier in preventing any redness from worsening, but also helps to heal it VERY quickly. My first daughter used to get very nasty rashes, broken skin etc and i remember using a combination of 3 diff creams blended together to get the results. These aromababy products are fantastic and do it all. I order mine online from their website, but you may be able to find someone who stocks them near you. They are 100% natural, organic products, no chemicals. I can't brag about them enough hehehe, they have been a god send for my baby.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty77
    Its probably a bit of thrush as well Linda. I use Dakotzin(sp) on Gemma its like sudocream but a bit thicker and has anti-fungal cream in it. A few of the girls from BB recommended it and its fantastic.

We use this too, cleans up even the worst nappy rash in 24 hours or so I love it.
    Definitely sounds like you need something with an antifungal.

mummymeegs Guest

I would try the anti fungal cream asthe others suggested.. but maybe when it has cleared use something like paw paw cream at every change even when her bottom is not red. This will provide a barrier against moisture and hopefully prevent her from getting it again!

Well it is a lot better this morning. Yay!! She hasn't done a poo yet though (& is crawling around on the carpet LOL) I'm still off to the chemist to get the daktozin this morning though.

I just thought I'd let you all know that Emma cut her first tooth yesterday! So at least now I know the reason behind it all! *phew*. I did get the daktozin & have still been applying that, but it is looking 100% better.

Thanks everyone!!

Hi,

my DD is three and she has a rash on her vagina,i dont know if its thrush ,can a 3 yrold get thrush??.
    i make sure she wipes well after going to the loo but she still has it.i put some anti fungal cream for her last night,but if it dont get better i think i will take her to the docter

Aaw, I don't see why it couldn't be? I hope the cream works quickly for you. I guess going nudie for a while would help her too.

I would defintealy take her to the doctor hun, as it could be an infection or something, and if it is just the thrush, then at least your doctor can ease your mind, as it i quite possible for a little girl to get thrush, as the bacteria that causes it, lives in all human's gut, and it only takes an imbalance in the natural flora of her gut, for her to get thrush.
    Good luck hun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast