Thread: Help Please! swapping from Formula-Milk

colleeg Guest

Question Help Please! swapping from Formula-Milk

Hi all,
    My 13month old has been on Karicare soy for 6 months- he isnt lactose intolorant but the soy has been nicer to his tummy hense less gas.... anyway i have tried cows milk full and diluted strength, lactose free milk,soy milk..brownes milk and NO luck..How do you wean bub off something like this??
    1 is it the tast of the forumla soy that he knows is missing? & 2 how can i gradually introduce it without him getting too histerical?

Many thanks if you could suggest a few things.
    Colleeg

If you have tried everthing else then the only other way is to start to make the bottles of formual weaker until it's nearly plain water. Just cut back by a scoop every week. Not sure what else you can try.

I'm not sure that I would be cutting back like that so much as bub still needs to be getting the calcium / iron from somewhere...

When we put Zander onto cow's milk we did it slowly. He had a milk bottle in the morning then the other 2 bottles of a day were formula, for about 2 weeks. Then we went to milk for 2 bottles a day & formula for the night bottle for another 2 weeks, then finally onto 3 milk bottles a day.

I have also heard of mixing in 1/2 to 1 scoop of formula into the cows milk so that the familiar taste is there.....

Kirsty77 Guest

I wouldn't dilute the formula either as they say not to do that. I think what Sarah said about mixing maybe a bit of formula into the milk so it tastes similar might be the go.Have you tried the toddler milk?Perhaps he might like that more than normal milk.

colleeg Guest

Hi girls,
    Thanks for your responses. I have tried the toddler milk. I think they call it Brownes toddler milk. He doesnt mind it but after 3 or 4 gulps I think he recognises there is a taste difference.
    So I am glad to do the 1 scoop of forumla for the taste..currently i am doing half formula and half Cows Milk so as Sarah_H said it is a slow process.

Just sees to be a constant thinking thing! but liek every stage of their devlopment we will get there! its just frustrating!

I tried doing it with 3/4 formula bottle to 1/4 milk for a week, then we did half and half for a week and then 1/4 formula to 3/4 milk. Unfortunately at that point Matilda reacted badly to so much milk so she's back on formula and what we do is try it all over again every few months to see how she goes. Matilda reacts by having diarrhoea and a lighter coloured poo when she has too much cows milk at once. Good luck!

I have had the same problems as Christy. We have tried 4 times with no luck. Alana is still on formula at 20 months. We are currently waiting test to see if she is milk intolerant.

I wouldn't stress to much. He's only 13 months. I think what Sarah said, doing it really slowly is the best way.

Yeah Matilda turns 2 on Saturday and our GP said we will worry about the milk thing when she gets closer to 3. She eats yogurt & cheese with no reactions so we think its just an uncooked milk thing.... hopefully.