Thread: Help please on waking at night!!

Default Help please on waking at night!!

My bubba Jack has been waking up during the nite for the last 2 nites, about 1-2am after going to bed at about 9.30pm and is hungry. He used to sleep through the nite from about 2 1/2 months old, and he only wants a bottle, I've tried everything else. He drinks all his bottles during the day.
    Could he be telling me he is ready for solids?
    I'd really appreciate any mum's advice who have been through this.

I must add he is 4 months old next week, and he weighs approx. 7.5 kgs( I will have a more accurate weight when he gets back from the MCHN 2day)
    I will also ask her about the waking at night too.

Thanx in advance mums..

Hi there Alex,

It sounds like Jack might be going through a growth spurt. I'd say just give him a bottle at night when he needs it and hold off on the solids for a bit longer. The milk will provide him with more nutrition than solids would at this stage. You might find that in a few days the growth spurt will have finished and he'll go back to his normal routine.

HTH!

Thanx Angel. I will keep giving him a bottle at night for a little longer and see if it is a growth spurt.

Sounds like a growth spurt to me too. Matilda didn't sleep through until 14 months though so I'm not positive

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Good advice there
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melinda Guest

I can only second what everybody else has said!

All I can add is - if you are ever in doubt, give them more booby or bottle!! Its the least harmful thing you can do to their system, and you'll probably get the best result from it.
    Another thing it could be is just a change in patterns. Jenna started changing her sleep routine at about this time (actually about 5months, but all babies are slightly different) and went from sleeping 8 hrs to waking 3-4 times a night!!! God it nearly killed us!

Your baby may need to learn how to self settle, which is so hard to teach. The best thing I found we did was move Jenna to her own room (cause our noises were keeping her awake) make sure that she is warm enough (and dry enough nappy wise) and try to put her to bed really drowsy, not asleep.

There are heaps of different opinions on sleep routines, so please dont take my experience as gospel, but just a suggestion that it could be the start of more. AndI found solids made it worse!! Not better!

Good luck, heres hoping its just a pesky growth spurt! Time to break out the 0's huh?

Hi Alex,

Jack & James could be twins! They were born on the same day, they are both big boys (James was 8.4kg yesterday, with clothes on though) and I posted about the same thing a couple of weeks ago:

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18787

I'm sorry to say the situation has not improved for us. James too was sleeping 9-10 hours a night but now wakes twice a night unless I wake him for a 10pm feed which I do now.

We had one 11 hour stint the other night after an expressed feed, so we tried feeding him expressed breast milk every night but it hasn't happened again. :-k

It will be interesting to see what Jack does, hopefully he'll go back to his long sleeps! Let us know. And good luck.

Love Pearl

Hi girls!!, Well I was out last night but DH said he went to sleep at about quarter to 11, (cause he had a catnap while he was cooking t) and he didn't wake up till 7.30 this morning!!! \/ . That's almost 9 hours!! What a star!
    So here's hoping it was a growth spurt, and lets see how the next few nights go.... :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 . You just feel so much better after having a good night's sleep, don't u!!

Thank u every1 for all your great advice 2. It helped me alot. :lovebb:

Hi Alex!
    I'm glad to hear that Jack slept through again for you, it does make a huge difference to how you feel the next day doesnt it!

I just wanted to agree with what everyone else said, and also let you know that I used to have a similar problem with Aidyn waking up at 2 or 3am because he was hungry. So we got into a routine where for a quite a few months I would 'dream feed' him a bottle at 10pm (or just before we went to bed) and it would usually sustain him through the night and he wouldnt wake up until after 7am each morning!

Goodluck, and I hope he keeps up the good sleeping for you!