Thread: HELP!! Re: Temperatures

Default HELP!! Re: Temperatures

Does anyone know what sort of temp I should start getting worried at?

Zander's is at 38deg at the moment & his skin is sooo hot. I've just given him some panadol, but am freaking out cos he's never had a temp before. He's asleep and seems ok other than teething for the last few days.....

Hoping someone is online now that can reassure me he's ok......

It's now an hour after Zander had his panadol & his temp is down to 37.3 so I guess that's a good thing. I think I feel safe enough to go to bed now!

I know how scary that is Sarah! Glad to hear his temp dropped! Keep in mind if you ever have a problem with temps again Nurofen can be taken in conjunction with Panadol to bring down a fever.

*mwa*
    Cailin

It's now back up to 37.9deg only 1/2 an hour later. I wouldn't have checked except he woke up crying & his skin was on fire again.

Pietta Guest

Sarah Ryley's temps have been up to 39 before and that's when they say to take them to the hospital high 38's to 39.

I hope his temp comes down soon!! I will check here again in a little while.

Custardtart Guest

If you are wanting to bring his temperature down, try sponging him with lukewarm water, but if you are concerned about the cause of it and he seems distressed I'd be going to the doctors too. A temperature over 39 degrees is out of the 'normal' range, it could be a response to a tooth coming through or it could be something more serious - it's impossible to know over the internet - not that I'm a trained doctor or anything!

Kerrie

Sarah,
    How is Zander this morning?
    Hoping he is fine....

Sarah how is Zander this morning ??

If you are still worried then take him to the hospital.
    Hope he is okay this morning.

Thanks guys

His temp is still a bit up - 37.5 about 2hrs ago. I saw every single hour last night so am pretty tired! He seems alright though, happy, chatting away to his toys & crawling round so it's solely a temp at this stage.

I HATE TEETHING!

jaggard Guest

Glad Zanders temp is back down.

Things to look out for (and I learnt this from my 1st experience with DD):
    * Give Panadol, if the temp does not go down then take them to a Dr. I've never used Nurofen, maybe that's better, not sure!
    * Try and cool them down by giving them a sponge bath, Or putting them in the bath, give them sips of H2o to keep their fliuds up.
    * If they become pale or limp take them to hospital ASAP

My DD 1st temperatue started at 38, wouldn't go down with Panadol, it went up to 39.9, she then became very sleepy and limp. Took her to the Dr who sent me to hospital staright away. She had pnuemonia (no cough, no nothing, just hot and limp which came on very suddenly)

I'm very warey of temps, luckily DS has not had one yet... (touch wood)

Just had to jump in as I remembered talking to a Paedeatric Intensive Care Nurse who advised to "treat the child and not the temperature" so I went hunting for some more info.

There is a very good site by the Joanna Briggs Institute which researchs various medical treatments and provides a best practice sheets. The one I came across for the treatment of fever recommends:

The evidence suggests...
    What you can do for a child with fever
    The main thing you can do is to try to make them comfortable and
    assist your child’s body to fight the infection.
    • Encourage your child to drink fluids.
    • Remove excess clothing or wrappings.
    • If your child enjoys being bathed offer a luke-warm sponge or bath. While it may not reduce the temperature for any length of time, it will not do any harm, and may make the child feel more comfortable.
    • If your child becomes upset or shows other signs of discomfort, like shivering, stop bathing or sponging them. Their distress can raise their temperature.

What about medicines?
    Medicines like panadol will reduce a fever but these should be used with care.
    • A single dose of panadol can reduce temperature and may make your child more comfortable.
    • It is not advisable to give regular panadol for mild or moderate fever.
    • Particular care should be taken if giving panadol to children who are vomiting, not drinking or who have not been eating for some time or who are passing less urine than usual (dehydration).
    • No more than 60mg/kg per day should be given.
    If you decide to treat your child with panadol read the instructions carefully and check the use-by date on the label. Check that you are using children’s strength panadol and that no other medications the child is taking contains panadol (paracetamol). A dropper is more accurate than a spoon tomeasure the dose for your child.
    If you are at all worried about giving the correct dose check with
    your pharmacist.
    The whole fact sheet is quite interesting.

Astrid

Pietta Guest

Very glad to hear Zander is feeling better

Hi Sarah

Nurofen can be used to help reduce the temp.
    I reccomend that you give panadol then 3 hours later if the temp is still up give nurofen, after another 3 hours you can panadol again.
    If the temp is as higher that 38.5 for more that an hour or so after giving panadol/nurofen you should go to the doctor or hospital.

Astrid
    Just for your information
    Most hospitals use the information from the Joanna Briggs Institute

Alan (Midwife)