Thread: Help! - refusing all milk @ 16 months

Default Help! - refusing all milk @ 16 months

Hi girls

Julia is refusing all milk (formula or cows milk). Part of the reason is we switched from the avent bottle & teat to putting milk in her sippy cups instead as we were told by daycare and the MCHN to do so also because we are having another baby. She doesnt have a problem drinking water from the sippy cups or from straw cups but as soon as its milk man its a different story. We have tried different colour sippy cups so she knows the difference between her water cups and the milk ones, but she still refuses, she also drinks water out of normal cups but not milk. What would you do? should I flavour the milk and see what happens? at the moment im giving her more yogurt and cheese to compensate for the lack of milk, she drinks so much water about 8 cups a day at the moment.

HELP!!! have you been in this situation? any advice would really help.

Mods not sure if right place to post so feel free to move if the wrong place.

Bel
    xxx

Belle.. i would do what i saw on a tv show. With the advent bottles you can get handles and sippy spouts. I would put her back to the Avent bottles until shes drinking normally again, then put the handles on until she gets use to it and then alternate her bottles with the sippy spout and the teat until she only has the sippy spout. Least that way she is seeing she is getting the milk from the avent bottle she is use to.
    You could even try the Mag Mag cups. They go from teat to sippy cup and the sippy teat is similar shape to the bottle teat.
    Um... i wouldnt flavour it just yet as then she may refuse plain milk altogether and not just because its in a different container.

Good luck hun.

Jesse still uses his bottles atm.. ill look at changing over the next few months.

Thanks Kell, unfortunately we have tried the different spouts/straw types that go in the avent bottle and she says no to them too. She will have a few sips of milk from a cup thats it

Belle, Darcy is exactly the same. She take a couple of sips out of the cup and that's it. She's happy to take the bottle and seeing as she only has it morning and night I'm not really fussed. She'll grow out of it eventually. I keep offering the other, I figure she'll swap when she's ready.
    She was breastfed until your daughter's age and I never intended her to have bottles at all but she refused the cup. I think she's too little to go without so we went with the bottle.
    But that's just me.

Belle our CHN said the same thing I ignored her Jack wont drink milk from anything except his bottle but will drink his water from any cup possible but not a bottle

personally if you rdoing it because of daycare and MCHN dont fret go with the flow

mum3girls Guest

Belle - I wouldn't be too concerned hun. At this age she gets her nutritional needs from her diet, and she's drinking lots of water, so that should be fine. I'd persist with offering her milk in the sippy cup, but don't make a huge deal of it. Does she ask for bottles of milk still? Really it's up to you whether you want her to stop the bottle altogether or not. Just go with what works for you guys.

Good luck hun.
    Last edited by mum3girls; January 29th, 2008 at 09:19 AM.

Belle ditto to mum3girls.

By now she will be getting all the calcium she needs from her food. My MCHN gave me a leaflet that shows how much contributes to their daily calcium intake (can't find it ATM...so maybe ring yours up and see if she has something similar).

The quotas are quite small but if during the day she will have milk on her cereal and a snack of cheese or a yoghurt then she is probably getting plenty.

If she's drinking plenty of water then there is no concern about her getting dehydrated.