Thread: help, she wont stay in bed

Default help, she wont stay in bed

Almost two, Amelia has the side off her cot. Problem is, she wont stay in her bed during the day unless I sit with her. This is really frustrating me. She is creeping out now as I type.

Please help me!!!!

Rose, we have just transitioned Olivia (2.5) into a toddler bed without sides really recently too. (We are on day 4)

Lunchtime sleeps I have found that if I tire her out more in the morning, we are better off. Plus I let her have a "toy" in bed, as long as she promises not to get out of bed. (If she creeps out of bed, toy gets put away, no negotioation.) But the thing that works best (not foolproof) is long long boring discussions over lunch about how important it is "to stay in bed. No hopping out of bed darling. ONly hop out out of bed when you have had a big sleep" blah blah blah. I am brainwashing her!!!!!

Not sure if that helps any? Good luck though........

Persistance is the answer (well it works for us!). Mackenzie is pretty good - her day sleeps aren't a problem but at night say 1 in 10 nights she jumps out of bed but we usually only have to put her back once. We have a routine for bed at night, toilet, teeth, nappy, jump into bed story, sleep. We give her a kiss and walk out otherwise we would have to read 10 stories. We are firm and tell her not to get out of bed if she gets out. We also leave her with a book so she can read to herself and she generally drifts off within 5 minutes (the hall light is on so she can see). A friend of mine has put a wooden barrier at the door (like a gate) so her daughter can't get out of her room. As you mentioned you are only on day 4 and 'they' (who ever 'they may be?) say it takes a week to get them out of a habit. Keep going it will tilt your way soon. Just keep putting her back in and walk away. Good luck

Persistence & consistency. Matilda went into a bed at 16 months because she would climb in & out of her cot. It took us 4 weeks to get her to go to sleep easily on her bed. The first 2 were just continuously putting her back into her bed, or patting her bum until she fell asleep. Some nights it would take 2 hours to do. day sleeps took an hour or so. After 2 weeks she "knew" what the rules were but kept going... after 4 weeks she stayed in her bed and didn't get up. Good luck!

She has had the side off the bed for about a month now. We had no problem until this last week. I think the novalty has worn off. I am firm and consistant. She cannot get out of her room as she can't open the door. She just sits in her room and plays with everything. Night times are not a problem because she cannot see, and she is tired. If she goes without the pm sleep there is big tears. She just can't cope. Nor can the rest of us. I don't want to get into the habit of sitting with her but that is the only thing that stops her from 'playing' and it also stops me from getting stressed!!!!! I don't think anyone can help, I think it is just her personality. DS never did this. He is a very obedient routine boy. DD is more a Free Spirit child that definitely need training. We do the bedtime routine and all.

Oh well, thanks girls.

[QUOTE=rose]She has had the side off the bed for about a month now. We had no problem until this last week. QUOTE]

Have you tried a single bed rather then the cot/convertor bed if that is what you are using - Just a thought. Also if she can't get out of the room if you just leave her will she eventually climb back in and go to sleep? If she will, does it bother you if she falls asleep when she is ready? Can you strip her room so she has nothing to play with and just leave her a book to read in bed? I really don't have the answers just some thoughts popping out of my head as i type!