Thread: hiccups

Default hiccups

What causes them?

Kiara seems to get them quite often, after a feed, sometimes two hours later, sometimes 30 minutes later???

How can you stop them?

Thanks

Not sure what causes them... maybe a sudden change in breathing or swallowing?? Kynan used to get them heaps in-utero and when he was a newborn. He still gets them every time he has a good laugh. 2 things I noticed that stopped them - crying or a feed LOL.

NewmumLou Guest

Joshua always had the hiccups, apparently they get them when a big air pocket forms in their stomach and that is way of getting it out.... crazy isnt it!
    A bottle of warm water always does the trick of getting rid of them

I'm not sure what causes them, I think it may be from gulping?? My DS used to get them from 0-3 Months constantly...He used to get really annoyed with them too...and start little tantys and would cry until they went LOL!

Jesse gets them alot too.. he used to get them when he was in my belly too quite often. Not sure what causes them but my book says that its totally normal and doesnt worry them like it would adults.. so i wouldnt worry to much.. they should just eventually grow out of it. I was told that putting them back on the breast can get rid of them.. and it did for Jesse while i was breastfeeding.

Hmm, well I will try back on the breast again tonight...

I have looked on the internet, and the common theme seems to be 'it worries you more than them, doesn't affect them, etc'...well, River was Sooo tired last night, and couldn't sleep because of the hiccups, and by the sound of his wailing/screeching, he was affected! Not in pain, just couldn't sleep cos the hiccups kept waking him..

Sigh. Anyone else got any ideas in case the booby doesn't work? Maybe he's gulping too much or something and that's causing it?

skorpy Guest

Guzzling milk down too fast can cause them.Kai gets them alot too,but if your bubs got/gets them alot in pregnancy then you know they will when born.