Thread: Hiccups

Default Hiccups

Hi,

Jenna gets the hiccups about 3-4 times a day. I have read that it can happen through overstimulation, but I've had it happen in the middle of the night after her first feed (I give her about 2 feeds and 2 topups from one breast and then put her down).

I dont mind them during the day, but at night, I have to wait until she is finished before continuing the feed, and it means I'm sitting with a baby that could be sleeping instead.

Does anyone know what causes them, and how I can get rid of them quickly? Or are they just a fact of life??
    BTW - She is burped after every feed, so I dont think its excessive wind, but maybe it is???

Fi

Zander gets them all the time too Fi. Not sure if you would remember me saying while I was pregnant that he had them heaps as well. As far as anyone could tell me it's just normal & doesn't bother them. I see your point though it is hard to settle a baby who is hiccupping.

Scarlett Guest

Fi this has been a problem for us since Emily was born - and she used to get them while I was pregnant. I have found that feeding her helps but you do have to keep attaching her if she lets go due to a hiccup. The midwife told me it does't bother them, but it sure bothers us when she wont go to sleep. Another couple I know give their son water from a bottle straight from the fridge, they reckon it works wonders so either way feeding seems to help you just have to perservere until they stop. Hope something works for you.

Debbie Lee Guest

Gabby gets them too but I was told that there's not much you can do about them. I might try the water thing next time tho!

Melinda Guest

Jacob got them all the time when I was PG and continued to do so for several months after he was born. It's of no harm to them, just a normal natural thing, albeit frustrating LOL!

So, how do they know that the hiccups don't annoy them. It's not like bub can tell you and they annoy us when we have them.

Anyways, Fi I find that whenever Tehya gets the hiccups after a feed that if I put her back on the boob for a few minutes it seems to relax her and they go away - usually in under a minute for her.
    HTH.

Take care
    Trish

Fi, Ryan gets the hiccups alot too, i usually just pat him if they're not that bad, but if they are i give him a bit of gripe water and that gets rid of them.

P.s jenna is beautiful.

I read in 'Baby Love' that baby hiccups don't bother them and that breastmilk or cooled boiled water should get rid of them. Also that they aren't caused by feeding or burping your bubs.

Matthew gets them all the time and he had them all the time I was pregnant too. I don't do anything but I find it is usually before a breastfeed anyway.

Custardtart Guest

I remember reading a while ago that hiccups are caused by the diaphragm contracting in a way that interferes with regular breathing. It doesn't need to be anything major to cause it, it's a nerve twitch that can be set off by being overfull, swallowing the wrong way, sitting the wrong way, or many other little things.

There's no instant cure, the muscle just has to relax and fall back into the natural rhythym of breathing. I just looked up 'cures' now, and apart from the regular ones like drinking water from the wrong side of the glass (which is useless for babies!) there was one guy who said that if you press the ridge of cartilege behind the ear level with the ear canal, it's an acupressure point that stops hiccupping.
    I don't know how accurate this is, not having had to try it myself, but it might work! Can't hurt, anyway.

Kerrie

Lily used to get them all the time when she was in utero and a few months after birth. A midwife told me suck helps them go away, so you don't have to wait til she finishes just stick her back on the boob, like Trish does with Tehya, and she should be fine.

Fi Alana also had the hiccups all the time and in fact still does get the hiccups every so often. I find that even making Alana laugh to much can cause her to get hiccups. It doesn't bother her at all. I find that putting a dummy in her mouth or continuing to feed her (if she is in the middle of a feed) helps to stop her.

Matilda got them all the time, still gets them occasionally but she never came off the bb to stop feeding :-k

One thing though is I was told by my GP & ECN never to give a newborn cold water straight from a fridge as it could irritate their stomachs. So warm cooled boiled water is great for wind (it worked great with Matilda) but I wouldn't use it straight out of the fridge. HTH!

Thanks guys. The dom midwife said the same thing yesterday. Just chuck her back on and it will help. Not so helpful when she has had her full!!!! Oh well - its only sleep.....