thread: Hiccups

Mar 2009
    Hervey Bay, QLD

Hiccups

Hi everyone,

My one week old keeps hiccupping several times a day for up to 20 minutes. I think he's okay (he doesn't seem to grizzle about it) but was wondering if there's anything that particularly sets off or helps with hiccups.

Thanks!

May 2008
    where the V8's roar

I don't really have any answers but just wanted to let you know that my DS did this on and off until he was at least 6 mnths old. Like your DS he never grizzled or anything. The only thing I did was made sure I didn't feed him while he had the hiccups.

Mar 2008
    Nth West Melbourne

My DS was, and is, a big hiccuper. He started in the womb and continued right on once he was in the world! He is now almost 10 months and his hiccups are much less frequent and last for less time, but he still gets them. Like your LO, they never bothered him, in fact he hardly seemed to notice them.

Like njd said, we tried not to feed him when he was hiccuping, but sometimes we had to and he seemed fine.

Feb 2008
    Country Victoria

DD is 5.5 months.. has them 2-3 times a day and also lasts for a good 20-30 mins. No good, as it makes her spew more lol. They can get annoying especially when u try to get them to sleep. I found giving her a drink makes them go away. So chuck her on the boob or give her a little formula.

Dec 2007
    Victoria

The only thing that used to get rid of Charlottes hiccups properly was a BF.
    lol
    She used to hiccup about 6 times a day in utero as well...Always been a hiccuper!

If it gets really bad and he cant stop, you can put a few grains of sugar on your finger and have him suck them off, works a treat

Mar 2009
    Hervey Bay, QLD

Thanks everyone. I thought he was okay but just wondered. Might try the BF or sugar if it starts to bug me

Jul 2008
    summer street

My DD is also a big hiccupper and gets them 2-3 times a day. I have worked out its also one of her tired signs...

A bit of boob always made them go away though!

Jan 2008
    in my head

I agree with feeding through them. My DS is getting them regularly - either while feeding or while crying. They never bother him at all and he continues to feed through and they're gone by the end of the feed. I was kind of thinking that when I have the hiccups I have a drink to get rid of them so why wouldn't he? I read somewhere (sorry can't remember where) that the hiccups are normal and bother us much more than the bubs themselves.

Anna - that's interesting about it being a tired sign. I'm going to pay more attention to when DS gets them now.

Sep 2007
    Kyneton, Vic

My 11mo DD get them whenever she laughs alot, doesn't seem to bother her at all.
    They usually go away after a few minutes of calm.