Thread: Hitting and Biting

Default Hitting and Biting

Mackenzie will be 2 next month and I'm at my wits end with her biting and hitting. It all started about 6 months ago when at mothers group one little boy decided that he would jump Mackenzie like a gorilla and pull, hit and bite her. After 4 weeks of his antics she decided enough was enough and started hitting back. I'm not sure if this is what started it or I'm just trying to make excuses! Anyway today was the last straw. She hit a little girl fair in the face (even though I watch her like a hawk I'm not always quick enough) while we were out today and after a 30 second stand off with me apologised. Then off to the supermarket to get something for dinner - we were in there for 10 minutes max and at the check out I got hit in the face with both hands one after the other about 6 times. I'm ashamed to say I didn't stay very calm and grabbed her hands and said no very firmly and then told her (rather loudly and not in a very nice tone) that this is the reason we shop online. I just want to know how others cope and how to get her out of this habit. She bites when she wants something and is angry and hits when she has do do something she isnt keen on ie nappy change, being carried when she wants to walk which happened today. I don't believe in hitting as this only enforces that what she is doing is ok and the same for biting back. At home we have a naughty corner but we have been using this for 6 weeks now and nothing has changed. Any suggestions on how to get our angel out of this terrible habit/behaviour?

Last edited by nikbrad; May 23rd, 2006 at 01:51 PM.

It is possible that she has learnt to act like this from the boy at MG, and she has learnt that she has to fight back to protect herself or to get her own way. Have you tried to ignore her when she does act like this? (within reason of course) Paige will be 2 at the end of June and she will sometimes carry on and generally wont co-operate with me. Most of the time I just ignore her until she settles down, or talk to her and tell her she is not being nice to Mummy. I don't make her sit in a corner or send her to her room, because at that age I don't think they understand it is meant as a punishment IYKWIM? but that is just my opinion.

I probably haven't helped you much at all, but persevere with her and be firm and I'm sure she will change her behaviour in time. Everychild is different, so what works well for some won't work for others. Just try different tactics.

Hi Sherieb, thanks for your words of wisdom I do ignore Miss M when she is having a tantrum, ie screaming etc and I think we will start this tatic with her biting and hitting as it seems to works well and it stops fairly quickly. I guess I just need to be quick, if she hits us then I sit her down on the carpet and walk off. I tell her that what she is doing isn't very nice (Itry not to use the word naughty as she started to tell me she was a naughty girl when really she is very good apart from this behavouir!) and to stop but this just isn't working so perhaps as you say ignore her and see what happens. Thanks

Time out and removing attention work well for me. You could also try time out when you are shopping by returning to the car and strapping her in her car seat. Drive home if you have to. My boys love the shops and the threat to go home or just back to the car pulls them into line very quickly. Let her know that if she behaves in that way then she will miss out on something by rewarding her for good behaviour. Thank her for being a nice girl when she is a nice girl. You will have to put up with a lot of bad before she can understand the consequences of her actions.
    Big hugs for you

Sammi-j, today we went to play group and as usual she beat up on a few kiddies (and copped a few back), I warned her if she hit again we would be in the car and going home. I think it made her stop and think because she said she didn't want to go home and then didn't go for another swipe. Hopefully we are onto something - at least when we are out and about.