Thread: Homemade baby food- what have I done wrong?

Question Homemade baby food- what have I done wrong?

Hi all,
    I made up some potato for ds- steamed it, then added a bit of boiled water and blended it. Then I popped it in ice cube trays and froze it. All the starch seems to have risen to the top. But when I nuke it to defrst and warm it up, it ends up lumpy and chunky again, as if I didn't blend it properley in the first place. It was very liquid when I froze it- I was worried it was too runny. What have I done wrong here?

hmm.. I'm not sure!

Does it mix up well when we reheated and remashed? Do you often blend it? I used to just fork mash it. not sure if that makes any difference.. But my boys never ate frozen stuff i always had to make it fresh.. Fussy little buggers they were

blending potato never seemed to work for me as well, always ended up like glue.

Potato on its own never worked well for me either. It always went funny when I defrosted it as well. I think its just cause it seperates and goes yukky.
    Butternut pumpkin mixed with a little bit of potato semmed to work well though. Mostly pumpkin and just small bit of potato.

Hmmm.. yes Nic it is ok once I remash it with a fork. Just didn't think I'd have to do that once I'd blended it! Oh well, lesson learned. Won't try potato on it's own again. Now I just have` to work my way through the mammoth amount left in the freezer (note to self- am cooking for one baby, not an army of them).

Quote Originally Posted by LoriRae View Post
    (note to self- am cooking for one baby, not an army of them).
    thats funny.. I am always telling my dh there are only 5 of us eating i n the house not 25...

You could use it as a filler like rice cereal or other veges.. kwim?

hi. (newbie here - just noseying your thread),
    I was wondering if the variety of potatoe used affects the outcome of the mashing/blending and freezing....? Waxy types are more likey to go lumpy.

I always had problems with potato when freezing as well. I found though that mixing it with something else helped.

I've mixed potato with pureed apple to make it smoother - not that DD ate it! but it was a nicer consistency!

Using a blender to mash potatoes releases the starches in them, which turn it to glue. Best always to simply mash it, either with a masher, or a fork. I've successfully frozen mashed potato (no butter or milk in the mix), and it has reheated without problems. And I generally use the standard brushed/coliban type that are usually the cheapest anyway. Using a blender is fine for all other vegies. I make potato only cubes, and then a mixed vegie cube (pumpkin/sweet potato/corn/peas/brocolli/cauliflower/carrot etc), then reheat & mix it all up just as I'm serving it.

The other thing you can do is to microwave potatoes in their jackets for a few minutes (my microwave takes between 5-7 minutes to get to the desired softness, depending on the size of the spud obviously). The red skinned ones like pontiacs work a treat,as do desiree, they go really "fluffy" and just do these as you're preparing their dinners. Not quite the convenience of taking a cube from the freezer, but not that much more effort. I just scoop the flesh out, and do a little fork mash. If I can be bothered, then I also finely chop the skin up, so that he gets the goodness from this too, but that's not often....

but - never use a machine on your tatties, unless you want the glue..

I've always mixed my potatoes with sweet potato, cauliflower, brocolli and now zucchini and freeze it all mixed together. I do pumpkin separate and carrot separate, that way I can vary if I put more or whichever in his dinner. I used to whizz it all up in the food processor, but these days it's just a mash or a fork.