Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horsey... Birdie... Fishy.... GRRRR

Default Horsey... Birdie... Fishy.... GRRRR

Do this drive anyone else nuts?? Why do people insist on calling things by names like this?? PIL are the main culprits & Zander spends one evening a week with them (& us) and he has picked up on most of them, I spend a week getting him out of saying "there's a birdie" only to have to do it again the next week I also wonder why people do it, it's making the worder longer & therefore harder to say, not easier

OMG Sarah - I do it with Izzy! ROFL!! I've never even realised that I do it! Must be because it makes the word sound cuter or something. Actually when you think about it we do it with mum and dad too!!

Oooh dear, I still say fishy et cetera now! The "eee" sound is quite easy to say, so children are more likely to attempt the childish word than the adult word with the hard end, but I suppose I will have to watch myself with this and DS - I don't want him growing up still using baby talk!

Can you ask/tell PiL to stop it? Yes, I know, it falls on deaf or angry ears, but I would try. And try, and try, and try. After all, they may stop just to shut you up!

Oooh, just remembered another one. We don't see the ducks. We see the ducky-ducky-quack-quacks. No wonder DS hasn't tried to say Duck yet! Another one for me to stop!

Oops, sorry guys don't feel bad. If it's something you do or want to do with your kids go for it, I have no problem with that. I'm more complaining that I don't want Zander to say things like that but other people are teaching it to him IYKWIM. PIL just ignore me most of the time

No worries Sarah! I just found it funny that I've never realised I do it and now I'm wondering why I do, and also the fact that most people use mummy and daddy with young children mum and dad!! I know what you mean about people teaching them things you don't like though. It's so frustrating isn't it? Can you say something to them or try a subtle" Oh we saw a HORSE today - Zander can you say HORSE!" I guess all you can do is be consistent with what you teach him and hopefully he will get the message.

We do it as well lol, but Kameron and Lachlan both now say the correct way of it, both of them have done speech therapy as well so they have had no choice but to say it right, well except for Birdie cause our bird is called Birdie LOL

Love

Yep I hate it along with the high pitch voice. You want a child to speak properly then you need to speak properly LOL! I get in trouble for saying "Ta" because my gf *hates* it and when her son mimics she gets so annoyed with me LOL! I just hate "Give it to me" sounds so harsh.

This is one of my pet peeves too Sarah!! Its like teaching your child one language only to have to learn a new one when they are older. My favourite dislikes are " ni ni's" instead of "bed time" brmm brmm for car, actually there's a huge list LOL I have had children get to school still saying things like that and it just sounds terrible. Riley says thankyou not ta but I must confess the girls said ta!!

This used to annoy me too... but I think I have just come to realise no matter how you teach them, most of them will get it the right way eventually

I hate the cutesy talk too. I am another "anti-ta" mummy too - we are teaching Flynn to say thankyou. If kids can say things like "dinosaur" and "icecream", I figure they can manage thankyou....

We said ta to Zander for a long time & he never got it, then one day he came out with "tar-tu" which was his version of thank you for a very long time. We did say a lot of "ta for mummy/daddy/granma" cos same as Cai, we preferred it to "give it to me".

Yeah seth Says thanks and thank you. He only uses Ta when asking for something. OH and like Sarah please don't think I'm attacking anyone

Last edited by nanananny; January 13th, 2008 at 09:04 AM.

Nope it bugs me too.. I prefer to use proper words for things.. Sometimes my 8yr old will say look Jakey theres a a birdie and I say Ethan use the right word.. i know it probably sounds mean to some but its a bird not a birdie

Probably the only thing we use a different word for is cordial Ethan used to call it law law and Jake calls it tordal. They can all say cordial but choose this word for it.. So half the time we say Tordal or law law lol...

I thought I'd read somewhere that adding the eee to the end of a word makes it easier for kids to pick up the hard sound? Like, if you say 'Dad', they can't hear the 'd' at the end as well as if you say 'Daddy'.
    Considering my son doesn't say anything at all yet, I'll take whatever word he's happy to use to communicate!

We say move between 'ta for mumma' and please and thankyou. He'll pick up on something eventually. He knows what we mean anyway. Trouble with 'ta' is that if he thinks you're saying 'tongue' (first and favourite body part he learned) he'll stick it out and it won't go back in for a long time!

or people giving their pet names (like the ILs) to your child's dummy - no it's not a dodger - it's a dummy.
    And yum yums or din dins for meals - grrr no Sarah you aren't the only one this irks....
    I'd like Darcy to speak properly especially given that 2 of my MILs children say aks instead of ask cos she says it like that...

OOh yes Kim, I loathe those ones too!!! and going ta tas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast