Thread: Hot baby and hot Summer

Default Hot baby and hot Summer

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

it seems my little man has inherited from his dad's side something that makes them all very hot. Temps are normal, they just get hot really easy.

So we are on our 3rd really hot day in a row and there is still another month until summer so I fear we are in for a long one.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, I'd love to know how you managed.

DS is 11.5 weeks old and will be about 5 months old in the middle of summer.

Hey Rebecca!

Don't have an answer for you on this one, but was going to post the very same question- I get hot really easily and it seems DD has inherited this too. Last couple of days have been hot, and we've found it really hard to get DD to sleep (as I will usually rock her in my arms). With both of us being hot, neither of us are finding it very comfortable and it's making getting her to sleep more difficult.

So, I'm waiting for some good tips on this one!

Hi Bec

Jesse (DS2) was a very hot baby - still is. He sweats on a relatively mild day! When he was a little baby I just made sure I fed him more often and made sure his room was cool before sleeping - he has a fan in his room and an airconditioner in the lounge reaches his room which I would put on about half an hour before he was due to sleep. I also regularly wiped him over with a cool flannel. I made sure his cot sheets were cotton and on really hot days/nights he slept in just a nappy. When we had to go in the car I made sure I put the aircon on well before we left so it was cool inside. On really really hot days I tried to avoid going out - but thats not always possible. Im not sure how you get Xavier to go to sleep but if possible I think it is helpful to get him in the the habit of going off to sleep on his own so that you dont have to rock him to sleep which would make him all hot and sweaty in your arms.
    I am sure you know and do all of this already but I HTH in some way and good luck!!

Hi Becca - I am in the same situation - DH gets hot v easily and it seems Noah has inherited this.. we have had a few really hot days and he HATES it - I am worried about summer too... yesterday i stayed at home most of the day to help him but obviosuly I cant do this all summer!!

My DS is exactly like this. In the middle of winter I couldn't wrap him in anything heavier than a light muslin or he would overheat. Now he sleeps in a sleeping bag which makes things easier to control his temp. He has a sleeveless one which also keeps him a bit cooler and they come in different weights for different times of the year. We also have a fan and an air conditioner in his room. Getting his room cool before he goes to sleep is also a good idea.

My girls are old enough now for me to keep some cold water in the bath & they go in & out as they please. When they were babies though it was really hard. We were lucky summer before last & had air con. last summer was hard. This year asap I getting a new air con for the house - current one is too old & doesn't work real good. & fixing the one in the car. I am not going through a Dubbo summer pregnant without it. When the girls were little I let them play with cool wet face washers, dummies & teething rings in the fridge - never freeze. lots of water bottles & I got a big plastic box with clear sides from Big W & used it similar to the bath now only I had it in the lounge room. Coz they have high sides there isn't really any worries about water on the carpet. With my youngest I put like a millimetre of water in the bottom & put her in on her belly. Coz the sides are clear you can watch them. They don't need any more than that amount to have fun. She loved it & it was good for tummy time. & at 5 months head control will be pretty good. Or lay him on his back. Obviously keep water very minimal & always watch them, but having her in & out kept her cool. & it was a different experience for her. different to the bath coz she could splash & play by her self.

A fan in the room is FAN-TASTIC.......... har, har, har............

I just responded to Clarrie's post re this. Air flow just seems to make the biggest difference.

We had 40 here on Sunday and DS slept (no airconditioner) with his fan on all night. Not a peep.

My girls tend to run on the hot side & living in Brissy sometimes doesn't help. Before we had air con in their room (went in today) we did a few things, last summy Jovie wore singlets & nappies most of the time. We bought a bath seat & put it in a washing basket & let her splash around while on the verandah so I could do things with Matilda. We had a ceiling fan which went regularly.... It helped in the girls rooms.

On very hot days we stayed home, or we would organise to go somewhere like the shops with air con or to the pool for a splash around. I would try not to drive in the middle of the day.

Having just been to Bali, I just lightly dress Zyon & the girls when it's hotter.
    But we all love the heat....
    A fan in the room can help too.

Hi all,

thanks guys some good ideas. Can't put a ceiling fan in as the house is rented, but i have an evaporative cooler that I can use as fan or put some water in ready to go. He doesn't need wrapping, hates it in fact so he sleeps pretty well. I'm thinking he may be sleeping in singlets all summer.

He feeds just before bed every night so that cools him down, and if it gets too hot to do that we can try lying down so I'm not cuddling him, or our bedroom has aircon so we might just be moving in there for the summer.

On the plus side his room only gets morning sun, and can be cooled down by the end of the day.

My mil made a joke that come summer Xavier and DH would be sleeping in my bedroom with the aircon and I'd be in the cot