Thread: How can I settle her?

Question How can I settle her?

This may seem strange, but sometimes at night when DD gets to the point of exhaustion and I'm trying to settle her to sleep she seems to get confused with what she wants, acting like she wants to feed. I know that she isn't hungary as I've usually just fed her and can tell that she is so tired but she just won't settle with me. I pass her to DH and within minutes she is asleep. I am wondering whether she gets confused with me as she can smell the milk and because she is so tired and doesn't know what she wants she just screams. Once passed to DH she can't smell milk anymore so she knows to go to sleep. Is this possible? If this is the case what can I do to help settle her? I am worried about this as DH goes back to work this weekend and he is a shift worker so won't be home some nights (night time is when this seems to happen) so won't be here to pass her to. How can I settle her. DH suggested maybe I put one of his t-shirts on and see if that masks the smell but I don't know. She just gets so distressed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

It certainly is possible - I had this with DS too, just passing him to someone else made him all happy and quiet. It does stop! Until then get your DH to settle her, watch what he does, and in a few days before she gets overtired try those things and see if they work for you.

I put on a clean top and breast pads before bedtime; milk leaks onto my bra and top so DS can smell that and wants it, a change of clothes helps a lot.

Thanks Ryn. I have been watching DH like a hawk because I wanted to see if he did anything different to me and he doesn't. We do the same things. I change my clothes, bra and pads before going to bed too. DH goes back to work this weekend which involves 2 night shifts every 8 days so he won't be home to settle her. I suppose I'll just have to keep trying different things. Thanks.

catherine Guest

Apparently this is fairly common, because we usually spend so much time with bub during the day a bit of 'tension' can build up, especially if mum and bub are both tired. When someone else takes over the settling bit then bub can feel the difference and relaxes and goes to sleep. I was really worried about DH going back to work after Henry was born as he always managed to settle him, and after a few awful days I managed to settle him by myself......deep breaths to keep calm! You will be fine, try not to worry (easier said than done, I know).

This is exactly what Sari does. Good tip on the change of clothes Ryn! DH says his arm gets tired and complains abut having to hold her so we try and put her to bed and she wakes up ha ha.. He cant hold her in any other position though, strange..

Thanks girls, I only worry because she is so tired and needs to sleep. We'll figure it out, we have too!

SossiGirl is offline Believes things do happen for a reason.. but sometimes would like to know what the reason is

Good idea on changing clothes.. I will be doing this from now on..

The other thing you can try Rach which I do, is top up feeding in the hours leading up to bed time. I do this with Sari and she sleeps now from 10.30-11pm right through til 4.30-5am!
    There is alot of walking around holding her and bum patting etc etc in between feeds as she will stay awake from 6pm right through to bed time but at least then she has a nice big sleep. Usually her whinging is trying to do poos, its a bit of a long process this poo business ha ha