Thread: How did you put your 14 wk old to sleep?

Default How did you put your 14 wk old to sleep?

At the moment my little one is going off to sleep by herself during with a dummy. Sometimes she will sleep through other times she will wake ever 45 minds But during the night I have absolutely no chance of putting her down at 7pm. She generally goes off anywhere from 8-9 and has a dream feed at 10pm. She then goes down without a dummy and generally can sleep through to 6 or 7am.

My question is should I put up with the crying now and take the dummy away from her? Does she need a more consistant approach for day and night feeds.

I'd just like to hear what worked for others.
    Thanks

I'd be interested in the responses you get from this. We gave DD a dummy when she was about a month old (when she finally took it) as it settled her down. Now we only give her the dummy to sleep and that has been working really well until recently she has been crying for me to put it back in . She spits it out when she is asleep and I know she can drift off to sleep sometimes without it so I was also wondering if we can do without it.

She is a snacker and catnapper during the day and generally goes to bed around 9.30pm and will sleep until about 8.30am.

Kts64s- can you tell me your bubs' sleep/wake and feed pattern? I am interested in how it goes as my DD is 14 weeks too. How long can she stay awake for during the day? My DD occasionally has a dummy when she is struggling to sleep but that is only once a day or every two days so she wouldn't really miss it. Do you want to stop your bub using the dummy?

I have been getting her up at 7am for her bottle and on a good day she may be able to stay awake for an hour and a half, but generally only an hour. Then she was sleeping soundly untill 11am, but lately this has turned into waking when her dummy has fallen out about 45mins later. She is up at 11am for another bottle and this time can generally stay up for two hours until 1pm. Anohter sleep with the same problems as before. She's back up at three for another bottle and down for a 45min nap at 4:30pm when she wakes 45 mins later we get up have a play and a nath and then she sturggles to keep awake lately for her 6:30 feed. Generaaly taking a nap the having her bottle. After this feed she is generally ready to party rather than ready to go to sleep. This can last till 8-9pm when she goes to sleep. I give her a dream feed at 10pm and she had been sleeping through the night. But the last week she has been stirring at 4-5am again as her dummy is no longer in her mouth.

So I would love to get rid of her dummy
    Last edited by M D; March 29th, 2008 at 01:13 PM.

With her waking at 45 mins, it may not be because the dummy has fallen out. It is very common for bubs this age to wake out of their sleep cycle which is 45 mins. Can she go to sleep without the dummy at all? Read my thread "When does 45m catnapping end" as it may give you a clue to the 45 min waking. I am just suggesting it may not be a dummy issue, but a normal sleep one.

I agree with Diedre kt, Darcy used to do exactly that (but without the great night sleeps). SHe still has a dummy to this day and TBH I'm not taking it away until she's ready to let go of it.
    At 14 weeks they are going through a lot of change too and this may be affecting her patterns too.