Thread: How do i deal with this???

Default How do i deal with this???

OK, i havent got a huge problem, probably not one at all, but i would love to get thoughts on this as im sure alot of you have all been through it with a bub.

My little girl is 5mths old and is learning about her voice and squeals at every moment she can get (through shopping centres etc - you name it) very exciting for her but can be very trying for me. Im sure you can imagine some of the looks i get!!

It doesnt seem that she does it out of frustration, but pure enjoyment.

I try to enjoy and ignore this as i know it is completely normal, and what can i expect when she has a mum that can talk under dry cement.

Does it stop!!! Did this happen to you??

Aaaaah Mel, I'm not sure what to say - I have an almost 2 year old that looooves to hear his own squeals!!!

Absolutely! Mine are older now but they did do that too! It's just that they find their voice and enjoy it! I just met up with a friend the other day whose DS is the same age, and he has just started it too! It does stop...especially when they begin to babble more and even talk like bub and mum and dad. It is trying I know, but i don't expect it will last long....I don't remember it being more that a week, maybe two? Good luck!

Hi,

All of my 3 girls love the sounds of their own voice. I can truely relate to how embarrasing it can be. My girl loved to do it at church!

Learning to use their voice is a natural part of their development. Try and observe why she could be doing it. Is she trying to communicate, manipulate or is she just entertaining herself. Whie there may be 'no instant solution', monitoring why and when it happens my present some ideas.

At that age side tracking them with fav. toys, kisses/smiles or other stimulating things can help.

As for the people out in public. Try not to worry yourself with them. They only have to put up with it for a few seconds - they'll get over it. They get to go home to their boring quiet houses and read the paper!

People need to learn more empahty in life anyway. Look at it as helping people to learn more empathy for us exhasuted, half deaf mothers of sqealling daughers. Just smile and give them they 'be glad its not you' look.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies girls, ive had a great giggle.

It seems that Elly does it to communicate. I love that part of it because she is becoming her own little person instead of a little baby that just eats and sleeps.