Thread: How do I STOP him from walking.

ChrisM Guest

Default How do I STOP him from walking.

Yes it might sound strange so I'll explain...

My son is 8.5 months old and his favourite thing in the whole world is to walk around and around and around whilst holding onto my fingers. Now of course I cannot do this all day. It kills my back, I have a 3 year old that needs attention, plus there is so much more to life that walking in circles.

He hates sitting in one spot for any reasonable amount of time. He can commando crawl but isn't really into that either, unless he sees something he really MUST have. So basically, if I sit him down the screaming and arching of back starts. If I sit near him he instantly latches onto me, pulls himself up and looks for my fingers. It is driving us all crazy.

I try to engage him in activities so that his mind is off sitting. The only thing that works is when we sit down in his sister's room and have a 'jam session' with the musical instruments. That can go for 20 minutes which is pretty good for him.

Soooo, I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and how did you tackle it?

Melinda Guest

Have you thought about getting a toy that he can push around as an alternative?

Jacob has one of those Fisher Price Gobble 'n' Go Hippos and also one of the Fisher Price 'Bingo' Dogs (not sure if they actually make the latter any more though - I actually bought it from Ebay) - and they both have handle-type things on them so they can push and cruise around with those.

To say that he LOVED them would be an understatement - well worth the money spent!!

Matilda got really frustrated a few weeks before she started walking at around 9 months and just would scream and I couldn't figure out what was going on. We bought her a "car" with a handle on the back and right away she started pushing it around and loved the freedom. Now, 10 months later she rides is around the house yelling "car, car"

Toots, Indah has a gobble & Go under her cot already... man I am such a preparer!!!! hee hee, just too cute!

Pietta Guest

I was going to suggest exactly what Melinda said- Ryley LOVED his walker and got into that really early.

I hope that helps

Oh and the jam session sounds like great fun!!

Hannah has been doing exactly the same thing for about a month now. We bought her a push along walker for Christmas, and she loves it. It's much quicker and more satisfying than commando crawling it seems!

Yasin loves his push car even though now he runs behind it instead of toddling behind it (and has figured out that if he runs it into something it makes a really nice loud bang #-o ).
    Another thing that your DS might enjoy is one of those Jolly Jumper things. You can get them with a frame or hang them from a door frame and lots of babies are crazy about them.

Melinda Guest

LOL Tracey, I remember when you bought the Hippo for Indah!!

Melinda, I was thinking exactly the same! (Do you think she's bought Indah's first birthday pressie yet???)

OOOPs, I have her 1st birthday present & some Christmas stuff for next year & a few clothes I have bught on Sales up to size 2!!! They were just to good to go past!!!
    Should I stop now!????

Melinda Guest

ROFL Tracey! Nothing like being organised now is there!!!