Thread: How do I stop my 9 mth old from biting me?

kiwicorcorans Guest

Default How do I stop my 9 mth old from biting me?

Hello I am a new user and have come searching for an answer to the problem of my little boy nipping my shoulder when I am holding him.
    He has taken skin off and it really hurts. I am sure he is not doing it with any intent and it doesn't happen all the time. Mostly when I have just got him out of bed or when he is excited or tired.
    So far I have just tried to firmly say No don't bite Mummy, it hurts. but that often results in tears. Not pleasant when he is giving me a cuddle which is lovely!
    Any suggestions for curbing the nipping but still keeping the lovely cuddles he gives me?

OMG I was just going to post this same question, but my daughter is 19 months old... its just started a few nights ago and at night when she is tired or excited she has been pulling skin off my shoulder & it hurts!

She is teething atm as well.

What I have tried so far (not sure if it works yet though...):

I say "ouch" loudly and put her down straight away. If she cries or yells I tell her that it hurt Mummy & if she bites again I will put her down.

I also go into the kitchen & grab her a teething ring and let her chew on that (I keep 2 in the fridge) *usually* this stops. Last night she would stand at my feet with her arms up screaming & when I picked her up would bite me straight away and laugh, so I just put her down & ignored it but I do think its become somewhat of a game :-k I hope some of this helps!!

kiwicorcorans Guest

Thanks, I will try the teething ring idea I think and see how that goes.
    I also wanted to add that he is grinding his teeth against each other and making the most dreadful sound. Is this normal? I'm worried that he will damage the new teeth!!
    I never thought having teeth would be quite so problematic!!! :-k

Matilda has stopped most of the biting now, but is definately teething. She has really swollen gums & is pointing to her mouth & crying...teeth suck!

I'm not entirely sure about the grinding though as she's not done that one...

Any other ideas?