Thread: How do I tell if she is cold at night?

Question How do I tell if she is cold at night?

Hello,

Our daughter is 5 and 1/2 months and we are just starting to get some coolish nights. I dress her in a warm all in one with a singlet and socks underneath and then add a sleeping bag before I go to bed.

How do I know if she is cold? Would she wake up and cry? Her hands can be like iceburgs, but she will still be asleep. She won't let us cover them up, if we do she screams till they are uncovered. She also kicks a blanket off before I leave the room, so that is pointless.

I don't want to overdress her just because I think she's cold, but am not sure how to know for sure. We do put the heater on while she is having her feed before bed to warm the room, and give it another go before bed, but I am concerned about the early morning chill...

Thanks
    Heather

I think you are meant to tell by the temp of their stomach- not an extremity like hands or feet. But this isn't convenient at night, is it? I find my DD has really cold hands at night but the rest of her is warm. I also wouldn't think she would wake up and cry from the cold, but others say they would! If the rest of her is warm and her room is a comfy temp I wouldn't worry too much about the hands.

I heard you should touch the back of the neck to feel their temp. Well ... I can't say that that is helping me Her neck might be warm, but her back, legs and arms are icy!!

I dress her in a teddysuite (all in one in fuzzy material) atm that is enough, but I'll be putting on some vests (singlets) and some pj's UNDERNEATH when winter stikes. DD is also not fond of a blanket.

I don't like the idea of a heater in the room, so I just keep the windows closed and her dressed like I would dress if I did not have any blankets.
    HTH

I slide my finger in the neck of DS's suit to check the temp of his chest. I don't worry about his hands/feet/cheeks. At the moment, he is sleeping in a long sleeve cotton romper + with a polar fleece sleeping bag over the top, then 3 blankets - but I suspect it might be colder here than in QLD?

Have you tried bonds suits with hand mittens in them ?? I think they go up to Sz 0.....You could pop that on your DD along with a grobag or sleeping bag over - that way her little hands are warm.
    I dont think any child - whatever age - keeps the blankets on them all night. I have 3 girls and am up usually once , sometimes twice in the night () and im always covering them up with blankets etc.
    I would think if the cold was really irritating her and keeping her awake, she would cry, let you know KWIM ???

Thanks for your replies.

Think I am just worrying over nothing, cause I am sure she would be letting us know if she is cold.. When she gets up in the morning, her tummy is always toasty warm, so I should use that as my guide.