Thread: How do you deal with it?

Default How do you deal with it?

DD it seems is becoming the new houdini. No matter how tight I put the straps on her carseat she is constantly getting her arms out of them. She is yet to master the art of actually undoing them, just worming her way out.

She turns 2 next week. How do you deal with it?

My 18mo DD can sometimes be a little houdini also..... it's hard isn't it!? She's gotten out of her carseat before and pressed the release button and I've had to pull over. Hasn't done it for a while thankfully!! I am hoping she's forgotten.....

From speaking with most Mum's who have gone through this, they all say it's just a phase and it passes.... GL!! a bloody dangerous phase though huh!!

Google "securap" (I don't think I'm allowed to post a link)

:yeahthat:
    otherwise something tied around the straps closer to their chest can prevent that.

i am going to get soooo much back lash from saying this i know and maybe i should just not reply but................ i am

We don't agree on smacking all the time! but feel for some things i think its warrented and it works!
    Miss B did that one day and because it is such a dangerous thing to do and i don't think a little "don't do that again" is going to get the msg through and its not something i find funny or wanted to risk her doing again, i promptly pulled the car over and got out and gave her a smack and explained to her why she got the smack and how dangerous it was and what could happen, and whether she understood it or not she has never done it again! i think it was more the shock that she got a smack but hey it worked! i would much rather my daughter crying in my arms due to a little smack than have her crying in my arms because she is seriously injured due to a car accident or worse, not crying at all due to a car accident!

There is also a "houdini strap"

I just told DS it's dangerous and he musn't do it. See, we all have to wear seatbelts in the car and nobody can take their arms out till the car has stopped.
    He's pretty reasonable for a toddler though.

Sam gets out of the straps on his high chair and the pram - he hates anything over his shoulders so we even have him trying to escape from overalls at times. But the only time he's ever done that with the car seat was when a friend put him in and didn't pull the straps tight enough. Is it possible to pull them a little tighter without suffocating her? We still have Sam try - he gets his hands underneath but can't push them through. When we see him doing it we just distract or whatever, but he's learning... and most of the time now will only do it when we're too slow in getting him out of the car.

BW

Bella used to do this all the time too. We purchased a wide black band that buttons around wone strap and then around the other and its to wide to let her get her arms out - its such an awesome little gadget! And it only cost us $20 - wel well worth it!

We bought ours from Oakies - but im pretty sure the would be at any big baby shop.

The times when DD has gotten out of the straps (put her arm out) or pressed the release button and said "uh oh" () I have immediately pulled over, looked her straight in the eyes and said "we do not take our seat belts off in the car, for your own safety" firmly but gently and this seems to have worked both times. She hasn't done it for ages since.
    If she ever was to do it again I think I'd look into one of those things you can buy that you're all talking about but I'm lucky she hasn't done it for a while.

There is a product you can buy for these little houdini's.. I will try and find you a link to it..

read further down and saw someone else has a name for it lol.. Good luck I hope you find it works