thread: how do you do groceries?

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

how do you do groceries?

just wondering how do you get the groceries done with a toddler and a baby? DH, DD1 and i used to all go together. we tried doing them with the 4 of us and it just doesnt work. i cant go with the two kids, if i go it would have to be with DD2 but then i would have to stop to breastfeed or settle a crying baby whcih wouldnt work. i spose i could get DH to go by himself, but then i like to choose what to get. argh, its hard!

Apr 2008

I like to do the shopping so I left DD with DP this morning. I went as soon as the shops opened so that I got a park and got in and out quickly. I had a list so i knew what to get. Can DH stay at home and watcht the kidlets for a little while for you?

Jan 2006
    Sydney

I send DH out to do a big shop on the weekend and take DS1 so I get some time alone with DS2. I also like to choose the fruit in particular and during the week I'll often pop into the shops for bread or milk or fruit etc, but only as much as I can carry in a basket without having to get a trolley. On the rare occasion I've taken them both for a big shop by myself I'll put DS2 in the baby bjorn, DS1 in the trolley with a fruit bun and try to get through it as quick as I can!

Dec 2008

I used to go with DH after he finished work in between feeds.

May 2007
    Newcastle NSW

Um, shop at wollies online and get them to deliver it?!?

Or leave DD1 at home with DH and take DD2 with you in a sling where hopefully he will be settled in it enough to let you do the shop.

Jun 2006
    In the middle of Pink and Blue!!!

We are CRAZY all FIVE of us go together!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

i dont think i could leave DD2 for a long period of time yet, we are demand breastfeeding. i might try it with just the two of us and see how it goes, maybe after she has had a feed and then is sleepy.. hopefully! :-)

Oct 2006

I have a list on the go the whole week and add things as I think of them. It is split into shops ie coles, aldi, butcher, greengrocer, deli. DH takes the list and our toddler on a Saturday morning and comes back a few hours later with everything done.

This is working relly well for us. They spend some fun time together burning around in the trolley and I sstay home with our baby either doing housework, feeding/playing or sleeping in...

To begin with I was writing rice, brand, size, type, color of packet etc to make sure he got what I wanted and also received quite a few calls from the supermarket! Now DH knows what brands etc I want so it's a lot easier. I pop up during the week to get anything that was missed.

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

When DD was really young, I would go with her in the Ergo, and she would usually nap whilst I was doing it. DS stayed home with DH

Now DH watches both the kids, and I go alone on a saturday morning. I like the peace and quiet.

May 2008
    Melbourne

I understand where you are coming from...

DS1 is in day care on a tuesday so from dropping him off i go straight to the grocery store. DS2 is fairly well behaved, you just have to time when you go as to when they shouldn't need a feed. I've never had a problem really he sleeps through shopping. DH has been getting our fruit and veg of a sunday morning for us and taking DS1 with him so that's one less thing i need to try and do with the kiddies.

I tired the online shop but things were too expensive.

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    Sydney

Ive been shopping online (coles) now for about 6 months......i love the ease and convenience of it all.....i also find my meal planning is down tact - coz i have the time on the PC to check and re-check my shopping list. Although in saying all that, i am finding im spending $360-400 a fortnight on food and i really think i can cut it down....soooo tomorrow im going to attempt, at 35 weeks pregnant, a 5, 3 and 1 yr old in my shadow to go to Franklins and do the grocery shop....yer.......i know...im crazy.

My Dh works shiftwork and does a second job....so no two weeks are the same.If tomorrows bill is dramatically decreased, i will prob start doing my food shopping at night, around 6pm, DH can feed and put girls to bed.

I used to ALWAYS go food shopping when i just had 2 children....but 3.....its a mighty challenge.
    Good luck !!

Jan 2008
    Melbourne VIC

I put DS2 in the baby trolley and DS1 in the trolley with a bun, and just pile the shopping in around him

SugarDust Guest

I do the shop either by myself or with DS3

Aug 2006
    Our house, in the middle of our street

I have now started coles on-line shopping. They bring it to my door - and the kids often help me pack it away. I love it - takes a bit of getting used to, but you can still get all of the specials etc.
    When my oldest 2 were younger, I used the double trolley, but always made sure i had my baby bjorn ready to go as well.

Mar 2007
    Paradise

Before DH went away and then I was put on bed rest I would go out on a Thursday night and leave DH home with the girls. When this little one arrives I will go with just her and take the capsule and my sling so that I can BF on the way around if I need to. When we have worked out her routine it will be easier to leave her home and go when I know she is unlikely to need a feed. The older 2 are a PITA in the supermarket though.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

You know, I've never had an issue with it and because I'm out of town its a half hr trip before I even get there. I would make sure bubs was fed before leaving for town, then I knew I had at least 3hrs before they were hungry again so I would wizz around town paying bills etc and doing all the other things I had to do, give bubs a quick top up and then hit the supermarket. In the early days with #2 there were a few times where I was in the middle of the supermarket and she would be hungry so I would stop and feed her - there was usually always a footstool in one of the aisles so I would grab that (cause the day I shopped was the day they did shelf packing) sit down and feed her and just talk to #1 while he was in the trolley. We'd talk about all the stuff on the shelves or sing rhymes until #2 was finished and then away we go again. It was probably a real sight for anyone else to see us doing it LOL, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Even now I will take all 4 of them and it's fine. It's about being organised though and most of the time I do it with just the youngest while the other 3 are at school and preschool and I pack a frozem yoghurt and some bikkies so he stays happy.