Thread: How to explain the death of a pet?????

Default How to explain the death of a pet?????

Our beautiful 8 year old Great Dane passed away tonight .

I have absolutely no idea how to explain to our nearly 4 yo DD, what has happened. We have never had anyone die since she has been born and never talked about death or heaven.

Has anyone got any advice on what I should say and how to handle her questions?

Thanks so much.

I really don't have any advice to offer you on this... I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear such sad news about your canine friends' passing. 8 is pretty good for a 'Dane, but it's always devastating when you lose a much loved pet.
    Sending hugs to you and your family.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
    They say you should never say that they have gone to sleep or been put to sleep because it can casue alot of confusion and fear of sleep. I found this thread that Jillian posted when her Mum's dog passed. It has some great advice. I hope it helps.

I find being honest is the best approach. I agree with dachlostar- no gone to sleep nonsense, it'll frighten the poor child. Just explain that he was old etc and that he'd had a good life. Be positive about how much you all loved the dog and how happy his life had been. Maybe even plant a tree/flower for him. Children are surprisingly resilient about death and will cope better than you expect.

Thank you all so much for your kind words.

Dachlostar - thanks for the thread, it makes good sense and I totally agree with not telling them he went to sleep.

mrsmac - I hadn't thought about the plant/tree, but a fabulous idea which will do this weekend.

I did the explanation about being old and going to heaven in the sky and she looked out the window and said "I can't see him, where is he". I told her that he can only be seen at night when the stars are out and she can go out tonight and wave to him. She was very happy with the explanation and told me she would miss him. He was taken away today to be cremated and his ashes will be returned in a lovely rose wood box with a his name engraved on it - he will take pride of place on the bookshelf!

Again, thanks for all the advice and now I know why I joined BB - you guys are fantastic!

Mel I saw this thread too late to respond but you have handled it well.

Just wanted to say I had my cat cremated and the box returned to us. It brought us a lot of peace too.