Thread: How to get bubs to sleep?

Default How to get bubs to sleep?

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me regarding my son who was born two weeks ago.

I am a first time Mum, and I am feeling a little unsure about whether I am doing the right thing (as I am sure many people out there felt the 1st time.)

My son sleeps really well during the day (up to 4 hours) and I am just unsure how much 'awake' time babies are meant to have when they are this young.

Also at night time, when he wakes up, I b/f him, and lately I am finding that he won't settle after feeding and the only way I can get him to sleep is to rock him to sleep (this can take ages), and he won't ever go to sleep in his bassinett by himself. If I put him in there fully awake, he will cry until I feel terrible and will pick him up.

Other people are telling me that I am creating a bad habit by picking him up when he cries, but how can I just leave him screaming??!!

Is this normal that babies seem to be more awake at night - and are there other Mums who could give me some advice please? Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

The first few weeks are so hard, especially the first time around. Matilda didn't sleep during the day, and at night the only way was by co-sleeping. A lot of babies sleep more for the first few weeks, but generally are only awake for a short time.

If he has problems settling after a feed, maybe he is bothered by wind? Have you tried baby massage? I found baby massage to help heaps with Matilda being uncomfortable after a feed.

Have you read some of the articles on the main site? Velcro baby is a great one.
    Pinky McKay has also just released a new book all about sleeping. I have found her books to be comforting to me when Matilda was a newborn.

It is normal for newborns to not be able to distinguish day/night. It takes a few weeks/months for them to begin to understand the whole difference. For now the best thing you can do is comfort your baby and get as much rest as you can. *hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Mum2boy
    I am a first time Mum, and I am feeling a little unsure about whether I am doing the right thing (as I am sure many people out there felt the 1st time.)
    Oh definitely!

It's very normal for some babies to sleep better during the day than they do at night. My understanding is that to get them to get it the other way round, you can try: co-sleeping, as they pick up on your rhythm, and also when you put your son down to sleep during the day, don't close curtains etc, leave the daylight coming in.

I have a guide that says from 1-4 weeks old, babies should sleep approximately 16 hours every 24 hours. Time awake during sleeps, during the day, should be no more than 1 hour, including feeding time, as after that he'll be overtired.

By 4-12 weeks, he can be up for 1-1 and 1/2 hours at a time.

Also, I totally agree, how can you leave your baby to cry!? At such a young age, your little boy is still discovering this big bad world after months of being warm and safe inside mummy, and needs all the comfort he can get. So do what feels right to you, often its the best thing, not what other mums tell you to do.

Cathy

Default Ok so maybe it's gas!

Thanks ladies for your replies.

My son then woke up for a feed (at around 6.30) and didn't go to sleep until 20 minutes ago! So that was nearly 3 hours of awake time, and I tried so hard to get him to go to bed, but I think it is gas after all.

I tried putting him down 4 times when he appeared asleep and then he woke up. I was getting really stressed because I didn't know what was wrong with him, then he passed a fair bit of gas, so I am thinking - is this what is keeping him awake?

If so - what causes gas, how can I prevent it, and how do I read the signs that it is gas??

Thanks again!

Pick him up and comfort him if that is what you want to do. There is no such thing as a bad habit when it comes to lthe ove and comfort of your baby. I agree with what the others have said - the only question I have is with the night feed do you stimulate him at all. I always changed and feed Mackenzie with just a night light on and didn't speak to her but did look at her lovingly and smiled at her. I was blessed with a baby who could feed while she was asleep and then I'd pop her back in her cot. This is my only advice which you could try if you aren't doing it already.

Our DS was exactly the same!!! We went and purchased a gadget that hangs on the cot, or bassinet. It has a dial on it, and you can turn it to make running water sounds, a heartbeat, and a few other natural sounds! It has a dull night light, and you can set it on a timer. DS loved the sounds of water and the heart beating. This settled him instantly, and if he woke, (and didnt need a feed etc of course) we would turn it back on and he would drift off again. It was heaven!!!! We purchased it from a baby place. It is a Philips "Sweet Dreams" Cradle player from Baby Care.
    Good luck

Mum2boy, have a look in our colic, reflux & teething forum, there is heaps of information & tried & tested wind(colic) relief.

I found with Matilda I used some homeopathic drops and cooled to room temp boiled water and that helped, but the best thing was infant massage. Goodluck!

NewmumLou Guest

I felt the same when i had Joshua and was told the same things! Your doing a great job so far, I think he is trying to make are routine for himself. I found that Josh didnt like the bassinet as he was too exposed, i made him sleep in his cot the first week of returning home, i just hooked up the monitor and kept on checking on him. He slept really good, knowing that that was his place to sleep. Josh has just now got himself into a proper routine only waking once a night (unless sick), but for a two week old my milestones say that he should sleep 16 hours in 24 hours with 3-4 hour sleep times. Josh had exactly the same routine as your little one, they grow out of it as they understand day and night. Also i rock my little one to sleep, it is a special time between the two of you, dont worry what others say, he just wants a cuddle.