Thread: how to help my 28mth old not fear dark and other things

Default how to help my 28mth old not fear dark and other things

my Ds is 28 mths old has always slept in his own room, in his own bed in the dark, lately he wont go to sleep without the windows being closed ( very hot in darwin to have windows closed) tells me the birds at night scare him and the the loud noise in the sky scares him???? he has started waking during the night as he has heard some noise. i dont want a night light as such in his room as i dont wish for him to hget used to sleeping with a light on, so i have started putting a torch to bed with him.not sure where this fear has come from and how relieve his anxiety about this. so was just wondering if any one had any ideas ?????????

Could you leave his door ajar and a light on in the hallway?

I think fears are very common around this age. My daughter is 28 months too, and is scared of all sorts of things, ranging from moths to vacuum cleaners. Her fears are usually connected to a fascination with the objects (she recently got up the courage to hug the vacuum cleaner!) Yesterday she claimed to be scared of the sand in the sandpit... today she said 'nana is scary', then changed her mind a few moments later. Maybe if you tell your son a story about the birds at night and how they look after him and are friendly (or something like that!) he will get over his fear. Good luck!

We've used a night light for DD1 since she was 2 and started fearing being left in the dark, its a small crystal led light so it gives out a soft glow. At first I didn't want to use it, but caved eventually and the wakings stopped. We got it on ebay eBay Australia Shop - CRYSTAL IDEAS: Sport, Trophies Awards, Boy Gifts Night Lights

Its natural at this age group they are starting to become more independent and are more aware of their surrounding, it can be a little daunting for them. They are learning what their different emotions relate to and their imaginations are blooming. Just offer plenty of comfort and support.

DD1 is now scared of the postman and garbage truck

A night light is not such a bad thing. Both my munchkins have one - they just plug straight into the power socket and give a very soft glow. The other suugestion I have is perhaps get your little man a special furry friend (like a bear) and make up a super hero name for him and he can sleep in your DS bed and he will tell the birds to keep quiet when they come knocking on his window at night. Or you could tell him that his bear is having trouble sleeping and he needs a big strong boy just like DS to hug him tight and help him get to sleep at night.

thanks everyone, all suggestions are helpful, its got to know that all children are going through this at this age. he does sleep with a blankie still but the teddy idea is a good one. thanks again