Thread: How to keep bowl on tray

Default How to keep bowl on tray

The last few days Kynan has been wanting some food in his own bowl with a spoon so he can feed himself.... except the stupid suction bowl won't stick to the plastic tray surface for more than 5 minutes! His meal ends up tipped over on the floor and the bowl waved around in the air (or thrown at a cat!) *sigh*. How do you get them to keep the bowl on the tray?? Anyone come across a suction bowl that actually sticks?

Angel i have the same problem with Alex i brought him a suction bowl a few weeks ago and he just takes it off the lid. I have given up trying for now and just put his food on the high chair tray so he helps himself that way.

Matilda did the same & I would just give her a few spoonfuls at a time so there wouldn't be as much mess. Sorry I'm not much help, oh! I had a drop cloth under the high chair as well as our dogs to help clean up LOL. Even now we still get the bowl knocked off every once in a while....

Definatly get a drop sheet (I got some plastic stuff from spotlight with a rubber type backing) and just sit back and laugh - wait for the spag bol on the head it's a kodak moment! All jokes aside apart from sitting with Kynan to grab it when he picks it up they do eventually grow out of it.

I have just been putting the food on the tray in the past too Michelle, but now he wants to act all grown up and have a bowl too LOL.

Maybe I will just put some old newspapers down at every meal. The double sided tape might be worth a go though... hm have some right here in the drawer...

Thanks everyone!

Melinda Guest

I SO know what you mean with this drama!!! Jacob worked this one out LONG ago. Whenever he gets a bowl of something (and quite often a plate unless it's something that is REALLY interesting) he immediately picks it up and upends it all over the tray, floor etc. The suction cup bowls etc are useless!!!

I do a lot of what the others have mentioned, in that I put the food straight down for him, but he's the same as Kynan by and large, in that he wants his own bowl, plate etc just like we have!!

Having a messy mat is a must - nothing worse than lasagne on the floors LOL!

Olivia was a neat thing & never did this, but OMG Charlie is a shcoker: from the minute we started him on solids at 6 months he has been a spoon/bowl grabber and screams when I try and feed him, so I have bitten the bullet and let him feed himself, mess and all.

We have a big splat mat, a hungry little dog who helps clear up, and are resigned to the mess for the moment....................it drives me mad, but I force myself to see the funny sides most days.....

I did invest in a suction bowl, but the mess was even worse: in the frustration of trying to get the bowl off the tray the food just launched even further!!