Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to keep bub warm (but not too warm) this winter

Its getting quite cold at night here in Brisbane too (though probably not comparable to you guys down south!)
    On the very cold nights I dress Aidyn in a singlet, skivvy, pajamas, socks and his 1.0 tog grobag. On the nights that feel a few degrees warmer I will not put the singlet and socks on him.
    We are pretty lucky that we can get away with using the 1.0 tog grobag... it means he can get heaps of use out of just the one grobag through Autumn, Winter and Spring!

wow what a response! thanks for your thoughts everyone. i think i'm definitely one of those overdressing their babies to sleep. ethan is going to sleep in a singlet, a long sleeve bonds thermal (without legs), a romper, a snugtime sleeping bag (i'm not sure what weight it is but it's pretty thick) and then a blanket over the top.

it gets really cold during the night so i just thought it best to keep him from getting the chills i sometimes feel at night. i'll probably go without the blanket from now on and see if he wakes during the night.

this has def been an eye opener. Em wears his one piece suit with a singlet. Then two wraps (the little buggar escapes otherwise lol) and then is slid under a summer sheet (more to keep him in the middle of the cot. And then a blanket iver the top... is this too much?

It's normally either a bonds suit or just a cotton long sleeved one piece. The wraps are just musling wraps!

I'm glad that's okay!!

Butterfly_Kisses Guest

I dont think many people realise this little tid bit either...that polar fleece is actually made out of recycled plastic bottles, so it doesn't breathe at all :eek: .

I know that overheating is a risk factor with SIDS so I was initially concerned with that, but after having her wake up freezing once I had to compromise!

At first she slept with a beanie because she was so small at birth she had trouble regulating her temp. Now, we keep the heater on in the lounge (gas, less expensive and next to our room, not hers) which flows through to her room via a couple of others. That's at about 18 degrees, but I know it drops below that in her room, especially first thing in the morning.

She wears a singlet and bonds wondersuit. She has cotton sheets, a cellular blanket and a light flannel blanket on her bed and I also wrap her in a light wrap (to keep her arms in rather than keep her warm, she sleeps much more soundly overnight wrapped).

She's effectively only wearing the same amount of clothes I am and she isn't sleeping next to another big warm body (DP)!! Also, we have a woollen quilt and lambswool underlay. If that's what I need to keep warm I don't think I'm overheating her...

I've always been fearful of overheating Matilda... she slept last night in some cotton pajamas with socks in a sleeping suit (she won't stay in the bags anymore) and thats all. We put a thin layer of covers over her when she gets into bed, but she gets them off within 5 minutes as she hates covers. We often go back in at night & cover up her legs because I use a doona & sheets & a blanket with cotton pajamas & figure she would need something similar.

On the weekend we stayed with friends & had the heater on 16 degrees overnight & wound up taking her pajamas off under her sleeping suit. We just felt it was too warm for it.

Hi Girls,

I know only I can really tell as I am here but Kaitlyns room really does get cold at night. We have not heating in her room and the door is closed ....and one side of the room is ALL window.

She goes to be in a Singlet, bonds suit and Pjs over the top of that ...then in a light sleeping bag. If I only put her in Singlet , PJs and sleeping bag she wakes as she is cold and her feet are like ice in the morning. She always wakes with freezing hands!.

Do you think this is to much?. I know I sleep in PJs , thick socks and two quilts!.

thanks
    Cass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12