Thread: How long before Af returns regularly?

Default How long before Af returns regularly?

I know it is differently for everyone but i was interested to see

1. How long it took for AF to return?
    2. How long before it returned regularly and back into a normal (before pregnancy ) cycle?

I got AF 5 1/2months after our DD was born then nothing until 2 months later. I am still breastfeeding and she has just started soilds, with one breastfeed overnight. She is 8 months old tomorrow. Now I am waiting again for AF to appear. Not on birth control as if we get pregnant, we would be quite happy, but we are not trying actively yet. But am worried without a regular AF i won't get pregnant when the time comes to try.

Thanks for reading I appreciate any responses.

Hi Megan!

My bubba is a similar age to yours (mine was born on the 17th!).

You ask good questions! and I'll be interested to read what other people write..

I had AF return on Christmas day (Merry Christmas to me! )..and now that you mention it, I wonder if mine will be regular-ish..we would like to TTC soon..I didn't even think that it might go away for another couple of months again.

I was so shocked that mine came back as I'm still bf VERY regularly (even mulitple times a night) so it's funny how all our bodies do different things isn't it?!

6 weeks on the dot for me but we arent breastfeeding so that dosnt really help u sorry

yeh i was 6 weeks this time...4 weeks after DD1.

I BF DD2 for 2 weeks so maybe that how i got the extra 2 weeks the 2nd time...or maybe thats just something i made up..LOL

It can take a while (as in months) to settle down into a regular pattern while you're still breastfeeding, and it might not even settle down properly until you actually wean.

As for me DS is going on 15 months and I still haven't got it back...but I think it's on the way soon.

Wow it really does vary.

Flea it has been a while for you. Are you breastfeeding during the night? How long did it return after your first?

Lee we are in the same boat, mine appeared sooner but is now all over the place. I hope it settles so I can have another baby in the near future. What a horrible day for AF to return. Yeah I was surprised mine returned when it did also.

It is interesting to see the differences.

HI,

AF returned 3 months after birth but was very light and short. Came back 38 days later, very heavy and awful!!! Has just returned again after 32 days, ok but long, going on 8th day now.

DS is breastfed as well as solids. Pre-preg AF was every 28 days.

It certainly does vary for everyone. Mine came back at 3 months whilst still feeding very frequently around the clock. It came back with a clockwork cycle - something I've never had before! So I think the pg actually kicked my body into gear LOL.

So I'm kinda expecting AF to come in about a month.. altho I'd be happy for it to hold off a few extra months this time. I guess the good thing about it coming back whilst breastfeeding, was we were able to TTC for #2 successfully as planned (when DS was 1).

Got mine back at 9 months with Bub BF 3 times a day. Just got my 2nd one back at 34 days. They seem heavier and a little more painful then before bub. But maybe I have just forgotten after 18 months without it !!

I got mine back when DS was 6mths, and thought it was maybe a once off cause he is BF still o/n also. But no, like you Lee I got a great christmas pressie, xmas morning AF was back with a vengeance!! Was about a 30day cycle, whiuch is pretty norm for me so looks like we are back for good. With DD1 I got AF when she was about 14mths, and DD2 was 11mths. Not sure what was dif this time, he feeds more than they did cause at least they slept overnight!!!

I got AF back 4 days after we ceased BFing completely, DD was 8 months old. I then got it again 36 days later. I have only had 2 so can't really give anymore information. They have also been very heavy, longer and more uncomfortable than pre-pregnancy, having said that, I only came of the pill a month before falling pregnant so don't really know what a normal cycle for me is.

Quote Originally Posted by megsgr View Post
    Wow it really does vary.

Flea it has been a while for you. Are you breastfeeding during the night? How long did it return after your first?
    Yeah he still has at least one, sometimes two feeds overnight. With my first it came back about 6 weeks after we stopped breastfeeding, but I weaned her at 3 months. I really don't miss it and since I'm not planning anymore kids I don't care if I never see it again LOL

Yeah if i wasn't planning any more I would love it not returning.

I got mine when my bub was 10wks old (as soon as she started to sleep 6 hrs at night and therefore dropped a feed) Very unfair as I thought exclusively breastfeeding would mean months without a period. I find my periods different now - heavier and they last longer and in Dec they came twice! once at the beginning of the month, then 23 days later!!! go figure!!!

Mine returned 3.5mths and was regular and normal as if I hadn't been pg at all! Just as clockwork as it was before