Thread: How long does the cord stump stay?

Question How long does the cord stump stay?

I was curious about how long it takes before the umbilical cord stump heals over and doesn't need special treatment any more?

With Indah it had come off on day 2 & one nurse just dabbed it with salty water & said to keep doing so til it started to scab over, so I was OK with that, the next MW Went off her rocker & suggested I had pulled it off... I explained it just came off, I knew not to pull at it etc & she went banana's... But then I just continued wioth salty water & it healed, with DD#1 I think she was almost 2 wks old when hers came away all of it's own...

Alexzander's came off after about a week.

Yeah I reckon River's fell after about 5-7 days. We just used a cotton ball with water, except for once when it started to look a little red after the cord fell off and I used a bit of diluted Betadine then.

(All the best with the birth!)

Milos was about 7 days I think.
    We just kept it clean with water & cotton.
    After it fell off there was icky-ness for a few days, but my mchn said (she looked at it) to wipe it off with a cotton bud so we did and it was fine

Vivienne's was about a week, but Blake's was 15 days from memory. It was much longer!

Jesse's came off after 3 days. No special treatment is needed, just to keep it clean with warm water. I just used cotton buds to dab around it when he was sleeping. If its hanging by a thread, you have to leave it and let it come off itself, dont pull it off.
    Warning too, they can be a little smelly but was told thats normal.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; January 2nd, 2007 at 07:44 PM.

paradise lost Guest

DD's was 12 or 13 days. It was pretty stinky as she was in cloth nappies and though we were tucking them down, it was still too humid. I mentioned to the Health Visitor when i was transferred to her on day 10 and she said to try a hairdryer on cold held away but directed underneath where the wet stinky area was. This worked really well, it fell off a few days later, after 3 goes with the hairdryer and lots of "belly-out" time with her vest rolled up and sleepsuit unpopped round that area...

Hana

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I've noticed where the cord is left to pulsate before clamping, the stump falls off much quicker and there are less problems with them, I guess because there is less blood and moisture, so dries quicker - it's actually a clear stump - just the actual cord part.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Jenna's cord was cut straight away, and Hamish' was cut after it finished pulsing. They both fell off after about 4d, and they both bled a little with nappy changes and clothes rubbing for about 4-7d afterwards.
    I was told just to keep it clean and dry. It went pretty red around the edges, but I really just ignored it and it went away all by itself

it took DD just over 3 weeks to fall off. we were told to keep it dry so had to fold back the top of the disposable nappy to let it air.

I think it was about 7 days with DS. I didnt clean it with anything special and made sure i dried around it well after bathtime..