Thread: How long for fontanelle to close over?

Default How long for fontanelle to close over?

Hi, I was just wondering how long it takes for the soft spots on babys head to close over?? I know its going to be quite a while yet, but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me, as I'm really curious! I've read and been told varying things... so I am not sure who to believe now lol.

thanks

I might be wrong, but i remember being told it was 18 months-2 years old?

I was told by my midwife that the back one closes over at about 3 days old and the front one at about 2 years.

Thanks yeah I was told 12-18 months.. then someone else told me 3 months, others have said 6 months. No big deal, lol, i was just curious!

I also think it is 18 months - 2 years as well.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Yep, the back one is almost immediately and the front one is around 2 years.

It all depends on the child really as well. Kameron was old more towards the 2 age and I have friends whose kids have closed over by 1yr. Ashtons is still very large at 6mths old so he will be around 2ish i'd say as well.

Love

I was told it is meant to be around 1 year. My son's close early about 10 1/2 months - 11 and he had to go to the ped as if it closers to soon it can stop the brain from grown and they end up with slow learning. My son's ok at the moment but I have to keep going to the clinic to have his head measured.

Every child is quite different. Fergus's back fontanelle closed at about 6 months and his front fontanelle at 20 months.