Thread: How many day sleeps - almost 12months old?????

Default How many day sleeps - almost 12months old?????

Hi,

Just wanted to check with you clever gals about how many sleeps and how long an 11.5 month old should be having.

She has been a terrible sleeper since day dot as has severe reflux which in turn left her with extremely bad sleep habits that even when the reflux got under control with meds still hates to sleep! the most she used to sleep till 10 months was two half hours sleeps.

For the past month she has been sleeping 1-1.5 hours twice a day! Yay! for the first time I was able to have a teeny bit of me time, instead of just getting the washing up done! lol

However, this past week, I have really struggled to get her to have 2 sleeps. Is this normal? Should I be putting her to be in the middle of the day for 1 sleep instead of at 10am and 2pm? People have told me that their kids slept for longer when they only have the 1 sleep but once again Miss E does not fit into this theory - when she has had only 1 sleep she still only sleeps 1 hour MAXIMUM! and she is ferral before and after the one sleep!!!

Sorry such a long post - didnt mean it to be -
    help appreciated PLEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSE!

you could try gradually pushing her morning sleep back a little- say to 10.30am and seeing if she is ready to just have the one sleep.
    when you say she is struggling to have the 2 sleeps, does this mean she is refusing to have the arvo sleep or the morning one?

my kids were down to one sleep by that time - and they went from going at 9.30am and I would change it forward by 15 minutes every few days - to let them get used to the new time.

They eventually went from one hour sleep to sleeping for 2 hours minimum - just have to get their bodies into the new routine - doesn't take too long, so just hang in there!

Its the afternoon sleep that shes mostly refusing to have (crawling around her cot and sitting up laughing etc). But in the morning one its also taking longer to get her to fall asleep!

Maybe she is a little bit overtired in the arvos and it is taking her longer to quieten down and crash???? With the morning one, maybe, like someone suggested move it back a little each day.

Noah is 2.5yrs old and 6/7 days a week will have a morning and arvo sleep. With the arvo one, if I miss time it, it will muck up big time and not fall asleep until about an hour later. He is normally up at 6am (sometimes a little earlier - grrrrr) and will go down anywhere from 9am - 10.30am.

Kids are all so individual that it is hard to guess what your child SHOULD be doing. The reflux history would not help either. Maybe you could (and I don't know if you do or not) have a strict routine leading up to nap times ie something that preps them for sleep like at night time to 'retrain' her so to speak. An example is what we do in the arvo - lunch around 12.30 - 1pm, a DVD - normally Wiggles and then sleep time. I know my boys are a fair bit older but when we have morning tea, I tell them after lunch it is DVD/quiet time, bed! (I feel like a broken record most days. lol) However, since doing this, my 4 yr old has an arvo sleep and is easier to deal with, less cranky and eats his dinner now as he is not so over tired.

Hope you get something from all that rambling on! lol

Otherwise, give Tresillian a call for some more advice!

Best of luck.
    xxxx

Mine both dropped the second nap around that time and kept their morning one. It gradually got a bit later - around 11 until around 3 mths ago and now they both go at about 12 adn they are 23 mths and nearly 3 1/2!! J still sleeps for around 3 hours and once we cut out his afvo nap he was one that started sleeping alot longer!
    Good luck - just go with her cues - when I dropped his day sleep it was still gradual because some days he still clearly needed it.