Thread: How many nappies?

Default How many nappies?

Hi ladies, This is probably a dumb question... but just wondering on average how many nappies a newborn goes through a day or a week or ?? I have no idea how often bubs do wees and poos lol. Just trying to work out of its worth it stocking up on lots of nappies before bub is born!

thanks

Hi Karina, I think they say an average of 8-10 per day depending on how many feeds and how many poos the baby does. It is a good idea to stock up as you don't want to be racing off to the shops with a newborn after running out of nappies (done that before!)Good luck with the remaining months of your pregnancy.

"They" generally say
    8-10 per day if using cloth
    5-6 per day if using disposable

Milo was mostly in disposables, and would have 4-5 fullish nappies a day.
    Last edited by Pandora; December 16th, 2006 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Kirsty77 Guest

Yup I'd say the same 8-10 a day. Jasmine fed 3 hourly so about 8 a day. I'd get a box of newborn nappies and maybe a soft pack, just incase bub is around 4kg born and out grows newborn size quickly.

Thanks for your replies.
    I think I'll definately try to get at least one pack before bub is born.. then DH can go get more when we need them, lol!

Do breastfed babies poo more than formula fed, or no difference?

Ooohh ok, excellent thanks for your replies.
    I'll get one or two big packs of newborn nappies next time theyre on special!

DH thinks I am wierd for wanting to buy nappies early!

It also depends on the size of your bub... we went through 2 or 3 boxes of newborn nappies before moving to cloth. I'd say we averaged about 10 a day too. And yep - wasted quite a few between changes! LOL.

Pooing - poo'd every feed for aaaages... and has been a regular pooer ever since. I too was jealous of other b/f bubs that would go for DAYS without pooing.

Karina - definitely buy them on special! And keep the receipts coz if you have an unopened box, you can exchange it for the next size.

I usually change Jesse each time before a feed, unless hes done a poo and i do that as soon as i notice. So id say about 6 or so per day.. give or take a nappy or 2.
    He used 2 boxes of the Newborn Huggies and then half of one of the packs in the box before they were too small. So i wouldnt buy any more than 2 boxes of them.
    Its not weird at all.. i bought 3 boxes of Newborsn, a pack of Infant Boys and a box of Crawler Boys before Jesse was born (when they were all on sale - you can get them from time to time at the different supermarkets for about $29.95 per box)
    Last edited by ShootingStar; December 17th, 2006 at 10:23 AM.

i wouldnt be jealous of those babies that only poo every few days LOL my friends daughter would do a poo every 3-4 days but she would sit her on the change table and put 1 (cloth) nappy after the other under her bum often using 4 or 5 and these would squirt right off the table too !

Yeh at first it was poo for days, every feed and it was that black sticky tar looking poos.. not nice. Jesse now poos once a day, sometimes twice but no more or less.

I would keep my eye out for nappies on really good special too and buy them then. Even if you get a few too many boxes of new born size so long as you have the reciept it shouldnt be a problem to change them for a bigger size.

mmm... and Babylove have 4-8kg ones so if you have a big baby like me they can go into them from birth I was given a box of newborn nappies and bought one pack of the up to 5kg ones and then went into the 4-8kg ones.