Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many times were you woken last night?

Default How many times were you woken last night?

Ok, so I am new to this whole parenting thing, and I want to get some idea of what other people experience irt night waking.

My bub went down at 7:30 and woke at 12:30, 1:30, 3:30, 5:30, 7 and then 8:30 for up time.

I feel like a zombie, and that wasn't even a bad night. She was waking less at 8 weeks old (only 2 times).

So...what is a "normal" night for you? And should I try and find a solution to all this waking, or will it settle down???

When DS was around that age he'd wake 2-3 times a night.
    He's now 15 months and still wakes that often.
    We did go through a stage of him waking almost every hour, so I feel your pain!
    Are you b'feeding? Perhaps she may be going through a bit of a growth spurt?
    Could pain be the reason she's waking? Perhaps she has some wind?
    I hope someone will come in and give you some further advice!
    Hugs to you
    xx

it will settle.. she might be going through a growth spurt and wanting more feeds.

I got woken 3 times last night.. me, her and the bed.. covered in spew. but usually she sleeps through.. 7pm - 7am with dream feed about 10pm

We went to bed at 11.00pm and was woken three times last night - twice by her breathing monitor going off, and once with him hysterically crying. Then he was up at 5.30am.

*yawn* I'm pretty tired today.

She was waking less at 8 weeks old (only 2 times).
    Oh no, I was hoping it would stay this way. I was only woken once last night. Bed at 9pm, woke at 2am, then didn't wake again until 6.30am. Feeling well rested today, thank God because I need my patience right now.

well.... DD went to bed close to 9pm.. she woke at probably 11.00, 2.30, 5.00, 6.00... DS woke us all up at 5am, I tried taking him back to bed, but he wouldn't sleep.. so I've been up since 5 today.

Pretty normal for us LOL.. except for the 5am wake up from the 3yr old.. he normally sleeps from 7.30-ish and wakes at 6 or 6.30.

We've woken frequently every night since the start DS started sleeping through at about 2 1/2, so I'm geared up for another year of waking with DD LOL.

Last night was really good for me.

Ellise is just over 3 weeks old and she only woke up twice. WE went to bed at 9 with a breastfeed and she woke once just before midnight and the next around 3-3:30am and then we began the day around 7. Cierra was up b4 then but thankfully Maarty tended to her so I can get an extra hour or so sleep!

The night b4 last was pretty awful though which I blame for a growth spurt...we were up every 1.5-2 hrs!

There must have been something in the air last night. Peter normally only wakes once, at about 4-5am, but last night he woke at midnight and grizzled for an hour before I gave in and fed him.

The thing that really got me was that after about 40 minutes of grizzling, I asked DH what we should do (assuming that he, like me, was lying there awake fretting about our unhappy child).....no, he wakes with a start and goes "who? what? what's going on?". Grr. I just told him to go back to sleep.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Normally for last 3 weeks DS has slept 10hrs over night on avg anywhere from 2100 - 2200 up between 0600 and 0900

last night down 2200 up at 0100 and 0500 and 0800

See, something in the air last night....

0 times. DS was asleep at 9pm and slept though until 8am, the first time he has slept that long without waking up . He normally wakes at about midnight then 4 or 5am then gets up about 8.30.

Several. From 12 weeks to 7 months my son slept through the night. This change coincided with me returning to work. Then he woke once a night til 8 1/2 months then the last two weeks it's been numerous times.... and with all his other symptoms looks like he's teething again. I used to wonder what people were talking about when they complained about teething..... the first 6 teeth came in without an issue..... but I now understand.

I'm learning to listen to the noises he makes when he wakes - in an effort to get a better night's sleep. There's a difference between the noise he makes when he will be able to settle himself and the one he makes when he needs a nappy change or a feed. It's taken a long time to recognise the difference though.

it felt like a thousand times... but was probably something like once every 1.5 - 2 hours. like liz, my first child only started sleeping well after age 2, so i'm not holding my breath for any miraculous improvements. some days i feel like i can't go on; others i'm ok with it.

can't offer any advice but i like those whose babies are frequent wakers to know that they're not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by amberj View Post
    The thing that really got me was that after about 40 minutes of grizzling, I asked DH what we should do (assuming that he, like me, was lying there awake fretting about our unhappy child).....no, he wakes with a start and goes "who? what? what's going on?". Grr. I just told him to go back to sleep.
    LOL That's what our house is like too!

Have you checked your MCHN info about wonder weeks? I found DD was very unsettled when having a wonder week. Hers were always a week or so earlier than on the list but regular just like the list. She slept through from 11pm till around 6am from 6weeks till around 10weeks then she woke around twice a night for feeds. By 9months she mostly slept through.

BUT when teething she will wake almost hourly some nights. AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!

She has always slept in her room right opposite ours and I can hear every little noise she makes (not a very soundproof house!). I used to find she would "surface" and I would LEAP out of bed and be almost running to her before I was even awake. I had to make myself stop and listen. Often she would settle herself but it did take a good while before I learned when I didnt need to go in there. I think many times I did go to her I probably actually woke her up properly, whereas if I didnt go she would have settled herself again.

So in answer to your question: once when DH got up at 2am to go to work, twice when DD cried in her sleep but resettled, once by the bloody dog barking at a possum. How many times did I get up? none

Thanks for all the replies. Last night was better...she only woke 3 times for feeds, down at 7:30 then awake at 11:30, 2:30 and 5:30 and then up at 8:30. Phew. I think we're through the 12 "wonder week".

Thanks again. And hugs to all those with wakeful babes!

Satya, how weird! My DS slept through from the exact same ages as yours and started waking again which coincided with me returning to work as well! Used to be once a night, then went to very frequently, now we're back to once or twice a night

Waaaayyyy too many, as has been the case for almost 2 years....
    I don't count anymore cause it's too depressing but form what I can remember it would have been somewhere in the vacinity of....about 6, 7 times maybe. I went to bed at 11pm, (the times I remember waking)12, 2,3.30, 4.30, 5, 5.30 and awake for the day at 6.30am. DS is teething and is feeding 2-3hrly again, DD is begining to have nightmares I think and gets anxiety in the night time if I or DH don't sleep with her. SHe wakes screaming sometimes and is hard to settle and will often anxiously call 'mum mum?' or 'Da?' and scramble about the bed if she can't feel us right next to her. It's wearing really thin for me at the moment with working and studying part time, I can barely string two words together some days. But tis life and I need to suck it up and put my big girl pants on....

DS went down at 6.30pm, woke at 12.30am for a drink of water and then slept until 5.30am.

He will sleep anywhere from 10-12 hours and can wake not at all or every few hours. It depends on if he is teething or if has a cold. As a general rule, if all is ok with him he may wake once or twice but resettles himself.

It hasn't always been this good though. He didn't sleep through until 12 months and was still feeding 3 hourly at about 10 months. In the early days I had to resettle him every sleep cycle (like every 45mins - hour) and I never imagined the day he would sleep all night by himself. I was loosing my sanity.

Hang in there, it does sort itself out eventually.

Lv Spring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast