Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much does your 12 month old speak?

DD is 18 months now and I would say that she is in the 35'ish words catagory (although not really clear spoken, kwim) and about 15 sound assosiations. But what amazes me more is her grasp of words that she can not yet speak. Example. I ask her to pick up the paper and throw it in the bin, she does that without looking glazy-eyed .. and she can't say paper or bin yet AND I don't have to point it out for her. Now THAT is gets me everytime. This little person is just an amazing discovery!!

Currently she is trying to repeat EVERYTHING you say. I can't wait for her to have a "Mommy what is this, mommy why is that, mommy how come this" conversations with her!! I LOVE kids minds!!

Aurelia has been saying "mama" and "dada" (though "dada" isnt around anymore, she still says it sometimes) for a while now. Apart from that, she can say "hello" but doesn't do it very often. She understands more words than she can speak, she definately understands "no" (lol!) and whenever I say, "Aurelia, look!" she turns around immediately. So that's 3 words that she knows, and to be honest i think mama/dada is often just her playing with sounds!

my 19 month old can maybe say 15 words, and generally i have to prompt him.
    he still has his own little language for things, the tirck i found is not to talk for them. Keep prompting them to tell you what they want, what things are etc. Its amazing to see exactly how much we talk FOR our kids.

I wouldnt worry, i used to worry about his development but i realised its my expectations i am placing on him - and sometimes that is a really bad thing.

DD is almost 1 and can say mama, dad, baba, baby (sounds soooo cute), no (not my fave word!), papa (which means eat) and tries to say her name. She imitates animal sounds, and tries to say daisy but she misses the s. Im thinking thats ok for her age and reading these posts, it really is varied between each bub. She too understands "dont touch' and tries to say it but sounds it out rather than saying the words. I cant even imagine how it will be when she starts saying 20 words! Cant wait though!

Well now I am a little worried, hmmm. Charlie is 16months & doesn't even say Mum or Dad...not clearly - it's just mummmmummmummm when he's upset. Though he does say "tickle, tickle" & "ta" & "puppy"that's it. He points at everything & can take my hand & lead me to what he wants, usually a biscuit LOL but I wonder if he should say more. He's had a series of bad ear infections & i'm told that can delay their speach...is this true?

DS has just turned 1. He calls us mum and dad and says bub when looking at photos of babies. If I ask him 'what noise does the sheep/horse make?' he can answer correctly with Baa or Neigh. He also says duck when he sees one and can almost say teeth but it comes out as tee ss.

He knows a lot more than he can say though - he can follow some simple instructions like sit down, get your jacket, show dad and quite a few others. He knows at least a dozen toys by name so if I say 'get the ....' he will go and find it.

Over here we've got "UP!" accompanied by arms up in the air and an expectant look.

No "mummy" or "dadda/daddy" but there is the usual mumumum, dadada, tata (with bye bye wave) and plain old ta to indicate she wants something she's pointing at. She does a very cute mmmmm! when food comes out. Also tries to say pet names. Puh-puh for our cat Asper and apparently she's said SIL's dog's name, Axle, but this has never been repeated.

I too cannot wait for those toddler convos!

The minimums according to my "blue book" are 5 words at 18 months and at least 20 words but usually 50+ by the age of 2, with some two-word utterances.

DS didn't have 5 words at 18 months but he has 50 words now, just before his 2 year old check (much to my relief, the MCHN got a bit bent out of shape at the 18 month check). This is below average, but still within the expected bracket.

At 22 months, in the space of 3 weeks, he suddenly started coming out with words (the so-called "word spurt" many kids have before they turn 2). And interestingly enough it wasn't every day words like cup, milk etc...quite funny! We get a new word every couple of days now. It just happened overnight.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Emphasise key words, this helps them learn.

Also, they understand WAY more than they can say. If you thought that your child couldn't understand you, then you would have cause to worry. By emphasising key words, it encourages them to repeat. Even though they can understand what you say, they haven't got the ability to repeat it back to you yet, so if you can sometimes break instructions/directions down to one or two words, this will also help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12