Thread: how much milk for 2 year old

Default how much milk for 2 year old

Nina will be 2 next month and wondering what the recommended daily usage is for milk intake at this age. At the moment, she will have anywhere between 3 and 5 bottles of milk a day (this includes her bedtime one). So about 900mls at the very most. I know she loves her milk, but is this too much? She's on cows milk BTW, and doesn't like eating cheese, but does eat yoghurt.

jodi o=im not 100% sure what the requirement are but i think at 12 months they need 600ml of dairy, that coming from milk, yogurt chesse etc..
    sophie has
    milk on her weetbix probably 100ml
    100ml after breaky
    200ml before sleep
    yogurt or custard for deesert
    100ml after tea!

so with all that she gets around 600ml of dairy,dont forget some vegies etc contain calcium!!
    HTH

They need 3 serves of dairy a day if this is their only calcium source (which it most likely is not). This includes all dairy, and obviously with a balanced diet they will get calcium from other sources so 3 serves of dairy are not necessary. There is no minimum amount of milk - they don't need any if they get calcium elsewhere, but I wouldn't give more than 3 cups a day as it will probably interfere with solids intake if they have more than that. HTH.

Jodi
    DD is only 13 months and has milk on her cereal and 1 cup of milk at night.
    This as far as i know it enough with her calcium requirements (+ 2 other serves)

Jodi jack doesn't eat cheese and has maybe a tub of yoghurt every 3 days, he will have anything from 100ml bottle at night to occasionally 3 x 200mls during day

is Nina eating 3 good meals a day?? as long as she isn't substituting milk for food I dont think it can hurt well thats what we got told with Jack

Thanks for that. I should have added that even when she has 5 bottles of milk (which is only vary rarely), her food intake doesn't change. She's an eating machine!
    ETA: rach - she eats 3 meals a day, plus morning and afternoon tea.

well then I wouldn't worry

hey jodi

Annika is exactly the same, i dont know if its the bottle or the milk though. when she is upset she wants her bot bot

I have been trying to introduce sippy cups instead of bottles

But yeah annika can have up to 1lt of milk a day

wow guys I wish mine was an eating machine!!!!! Doesn't even drink much milk. How I wish for a child that will eat the food rather than play with it!!!

Hi Jodi

Rylee has 2 x 250 mls bottles of milk a day - one for her afternoon nap and the other before bed at night. She will also have a tub of yoghurt every few days, has cheese every day, milk on her porridge......I think if I gave her anymore milk she would cut down on what she was eating - which isn't that much anyway.

HTH.
    Laurin x

mum3girls Guest

Jodi - Just something to keep in mind, my nephew had a problem absorbing iron due to having too much milk and he ended up really quite sick from it I believe. I think toddlers are only supposed to have roughly 600mls of milk a day??

Thanks for that shar. Something to keep in mind. I had to take her to the dr to see about her spots/rash, and asked him while I was there. He said as long as it's not interfering with her food/water intake not to worry. Most days she has 500-600ml, just every now and then she'll have more.