Thread: how much sleep do you get each night

maggie Guest

Default how much sleep do you get each night

hi

i have an almost 10week old ds.at night he generally sleeps a 5hr block,i then bf, he then will do a 3hr block, and i bf again, then he is up after appr another 2hrs. i dont get to sleep during the day. so in between feeds at night i get appr 6hrs or so.. would love to know what others are managing, thanks

Hi Maggie.
    Firstly congratulations on the birth of your DS! When i had my son, i was feeding him every 2 hours when i b/f. I couldnt express, and DF suggested that i formula feed, as i was having some problems, so we changed and he fed every 4 hours.
    Have you tried expressing and getting DH to do a feed during the night??
    Hope that helps..

Hi maggie with Matilda I fed her every 2 hours at night & would probably get around 6 hours of sleep at night when she was 10 weeks old. BTW that was even with a formula feed in there which didn't help her sleep better. I think the 5 hours straight is fantastic!! That is actually considered sleeping through.... doesn't feel like it though.

Jovie feeds better this time and will have a great feed & then sleep for 5 hours and then wake for another feed and sleep 3 hours and then be awake again in 2 hours just like yours. Its all good. Your milk should increase overnight so after 5 hours you should be able to do a full feed. I spend around an hour feeding/changing & trying to keep Jovie awake enough to finish the feed in the middle of the night.

Things will improve though. In a few weeks that second feed should have a bigger break in there. You are going to be due for another growth spurt as well so it may get worse before it gets better. *hugs* you are doing a great job.

Jesse is bottlefed and has been generally a good sleeper at night since hes been on the bottle (since about 2 weeks old). His general sleeping hours at night are 9.30pm to 5am. I started him in a Grobag last night and he slept 9.30pm til 6am this morning. He's then fed whenever he wakes in the morning and then usually goes back to sleep for around 2 hours or so and is then fed every 4 hours throughout the day. I go to bed when he goes to bed so im lucky that thats plenty of sleep for me too.
    My sister use to breastfeed every 2 hours with my niece until she was 1. I really dont know how she did it..

I feed DD around every 2 hours usually, but we're co-sleeping so I don't need to be very awake! I probably get somewhere around 8-9 hours in bed, most of which is sleeping, even though it's broken. I usually go to bed pretty early too

Most night Nina will sleep between 8-10 hours at night in one stretch, will wake for a feed, then go back down for another hour or two. During the day she only has 30-40 minute naps so I don't get any rest during the day. Although yesterday she slept for 2 hours in the afternoon, but that was probably just a one-off.

maggie Guest

thanks guys. christy i cant wait til that 2nd sleep becomes longer.

as DS only sleeps 40mins or so during the day in his sleeps, it is not long enough for me to have a sleep, i think in a mnth or so, i may get DH to give a bottle during the night...

Charlie is 6 weeks old and in the last couple of days he's only gotten up once during the night at around 2am. Before that though he was feeding every 1-2 hours day and night.

Xander is now sleeping from about 8pm till 6am (or has done so for a few nights now anyway LOL). His day sleeps are only about 30mins - 1 hour tops, and he only has 2, sometimes 3, of those.

Prior to that, he was having one 5-6 hour block, then 2 hourly either side of that 'block'... but up until he was 8 weeks, he was feeding 2-3 hourly during the day and night.

I think you are doing great getting a 5 hour block of sleep...the trick is to try to put yourself to bed at the same time as they have their big sleep, it can be hard if it's early, but worth it if you are tired. You could also try hopping into bed with him at nap time, Xander will nap heaps longer if I am there with him (and it means I get a quick nap too) and if he needs a top up feed I can do that lying down and then go back to sleep. Sometimes he'll just lie there awake tho enjoying the cuddle!
    Last edited by Anna**; November 23rd, 2006 at 09:37 AM.

Lucas sleeps for 5 - 6 hrs, then 2-3, then if the long sleep started before 8pm (& I'm lucky) sleeps until DH gets up at 6:15 - occasionally he thinks its time to get up at 4:30 - at the moment I'm in favor of daylight saving. I agree with Anna, try to go to bed early in bubs long sleep, however if he's going down at 7pm you may never see DH.

Kiara has been really good the past few weeks... she has been having a bottle at 10and in bed by 10.30 she sleeps til around 4-5am and then will feed and sleep again til 7.30/8.30am.

I have started putting her dummy back in at her 4am feed to see if she will take that and go back to sleep, and this morning she did until 5.30 when I had to get her up to go as DH had a car crash (he is fine!!!) Just had to wait for tow truck etc... so anyway I am hoping by giving her her dummy she will start stretching that sleep out even longer!

Maggy I can make you feel lucky. Darcy was a good sleeper only waking once a night until around 4 months, but the last couple of months she has been waking anywhere up to 60 times a night and that is no exaggeration.... :eek:
    It has been getting slowly better and now I get around 4 solid hours, but I was managing on 1.5hrs of broken sleep. You manage on what you've got.

I'm pretty much exactly the same as you Maggie - Toby sleeps from about 7 until 1am, up again at about 4am, then my DD is up at about 6.30.
    I don't get to sleep during the day either but it's so weird, I'm coping with the broken sleep so much better with the second baby (even though I'm getting less) than I did with the first!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Charlie is breastfed and slept through from 6.30pm to 6.30am from 12 weeks or so until about 2 months ago. Now he wakes up twice a night. It's funny coz it seems to have coincided with when he started solids. Lately it's been hard to put him back to sleep too, but he's got 4 teeth emerging, so I think maybe that's it.

I don't sleep during the day either so always seem to be in a semi-daze from sleep deprivation!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Well I have a 2 and a half yo and a 8 month old, and our eldest has started waking every night at 12pm 3.30am, 4.30am and then is up from 5.30am in our bed with us trying to keep him quiet and not wake his younger brother.

I don't generally sleep after 3am, so I get around 4 to 5 hours a night, and am pregnant with No 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The toddler is actually not the one keeping me awake at the moment.
    I think I'm getting about 5-7hrs a night. Its not enough I have to start going to bed at 7:30 I think until this baby arrives otherwise I'm going to frazzle mysefl out!!!

Ella is b/f and slept through from about 7-10pm (only waking for a dream feed then...wasn't really awake) then all the way through til about 6am. This was from about 3 months. Once the dream feed was eliminated she has slept through from 7pm-9am each day.

My son is nearly 4 months, and since he was 8 weeks old, he started to sleep through about 10-12 hours a night. (And no, I don't get up to give him a quick feed during the night either ) Lucky- I know!! Thank God, as I am a single Ma, and it would be harder if it wasn't like this.

When he used to sleep at blocks of 4 hours, there was a longer period in between breast feeding. Interestingly though, when he started to sleep through the night, I found that the next day he would feed nearly every 2 hours. At first I tried different things so he didn't feed so close together. But as a midwife said - they basically need to feed 6-8 times at day to get the right amount, and this worked out that he actually needed to feed every 2 or 3 hours in the day, making up for what he didn't have during the night!! Once I understood this - it made perfect sense. Now the milk bar is open all the time during the day!