Thread: How much time?

Default How much time?

How much time do you spend playing/interacting with your baby through the day? Do you leave them to entertain themselves while you do housework and go on BB or do you do that while they sleep?

Hmmm, for me it is a bit different cos I have two other kids and have to do a school run and preschool run so he gets entertained by that and with the other kids in the back seat lol.

I do try dedicated play for 30 mins when he is awake each time - but other times - stuff has to get done - like dinner, washing on line, shower - I do things like talk on the phone when he is awake - he thinks I am talking to him then and plays anyway lol.

We often go for a small walk between naps too for 20 - 30 mins for some fresh air and so he can have a look at the world, otherwise I find he gets a bit bored with me when the other kids aren't home!

BB/FB time I try to leave for when he is in bed - or when he is getting snoozy i cuddle him for 5/10 mins (our routine) so read some threads then. When he gets up he doesnt like being put straight down so is happy to sit on my knee for 5 mins for the same if I feel like it.

Good question I always wonder this, i feel quilty when I leave Georgia on her play mat while I do house work or other things. Everyday is different for us but I try to give her her own play time where she keeps herself amused but I also try and pick her up and cuddle her or read to her or just talk and interact. We dont get outside much which I think we need to do more but the weather is all over the place and everytime I walk past the neighbours house they rush out to look at her and want a chat which I find hard because one - I am trying to get out and walk between her nap and feed times and two - always feel like they are judging me - some of their comments they could keep to themselves.
    Anyway its hard to know if you are going the right thing but I guess you just have to do whats right for you

I have a very neady little chap. He doesn't entertain himslef so well with toys! Infact he isn't interested in any toys. He would much rather watch me, be entertained by me or be carried.

I generally do tummy time for 15 mins, put him in his cot with his mobile every now and then when I have to get a wash on. Sing and dance for him regularly!. Try to get him intersted in a toy. I make picture taking a game and he seems to enjoy that. I would love to be able to leave him on the mat or in the rocker but he would give me seconds before he would start yelping for my attention!.

We have an adventure a day - be it to the mall, for a walk, Mothers Group or meeting friends for lunch or a Hot choccy. DS likes the trips as he gets to watch more people and gets out of the house (he is an outdoors boy). If I could I would have been out all day every day up until about 4 weeks ago as he would not sleep during the day in his cot. These days he sleeps for 40 mins normally in his pram(thats a maximum for him) then he is up for entertainment for 20 mins, feed and then back to more play until he has had enough and wants more sleep. I spent a week at Tresillian and we came away with a baby that would sleep at night but days never really changed. Our Paed today told me he is a intelligent chap and needs a lot of attention. He also said as long as he is happy and alert and is taking naps then go with him. Tresillian say different so who knows.

I try so hard to get things done around the house but it is certainly very hard with my DS. Everything is a phase so I just enjoy the time with him even though it can be frustrating doing as little as I do. I wanted children for a reason so no moaning from me.

I do believe learning to entertain themselves is important so if your little one is happy to hang then go with it. I would.

Ella
    :-)

I think it is important for your child to get some time interacting with you and or any siblings, but just as important for them to have some 'alone' time discovering things in their own way at their own speed as well.

My boys keep each other company a lot and are at the stage now where Jackson drags Leo upto his bedroom to play with his trains becuase he does not like being alone.

I don't think there is a certain amont of time you should be allocating to interacting directly with bubs, you certainly shouldn't feel guilty for getting housework done, or spending time doing some things you enjoy too. You will find the right balance for both you and bubs. If the boys are happy doing what they are doing I don't see anything wrong with me jumping on the computer for a little while.

thanks for posting this questions, because i was wondering the same thing.

I only jump on my computer while he is asleep because that is the only me time i get really.

DS will play alone while i get things done around the house, but he also is very demanding of my time so i don't get much done anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by min View Post
    I think it is important for your child to get some time interacting with you and or any siblings, but just as important for them to have some 'alone' time discovering things in their own way at their own speed as well.

My boys keep each other company a lot and are at the stage now where Jackson drags Leo upto his bedroom to play with his trains becuase he does not like being alone.

I don't think there is a certain amont of time you should be allocating to interacting directly with bubs, you certainly shouldn't feel guilty for getting housework done, or spending time doing some things you enjoy too. You will find the right balance for both you and bubs. If the boys are happy doing what they are doing I don't see anything wrong with me jumping on the computer for a little while.
    yep I agree