Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How not to feel so lonely as a SAHM?

I really want to encourage you to try all of these suggestions and bear in mind, that it takes TIME to make these connections and build up a rapport and familiarity.

I am a SAHM mum (occasionally going back to my profession as a social worker only during school hours - very very part time though) of a 9 yr old DD and just turned 6 yr old DS, and am expecting another baby mid-March.

I actually PREFER being at home - it has enabled me to really build up a lot of networks through various groups - through the kids' friends and their mums, etc. I find that when I work, the people I work with are really only just that - work colleagues - there is not always anything in common other than work anyway. It has taken a lot of time, but being involved in the local community has really meant that I am never bored or rarely need to be alone if I do not wish to be.

I think it is probably more of an issue as a first time mum. I recall having some of those feelings myself.

Best of luck - I love the suggestions that have been put out there. Remember to be bold and put yourself out there - it will indeed pay off.

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeajan View Post
    I didn't realise BB had member meetups, that sounds great. I am from Sydney South. Anyone near me?

Hey Jan Im a SAHM living in south sydney too!! I feel like you sometimes...
    I havent lived in Sydney for that long so i dont have many friends..

Where abouts in south sydney are you? Im in Picnic Point.. we may be close!!

I live close to you near Riverwood! how long have you been in Sydney for?

Riverwood is only 5 mins away! My partner catches the train from there to the city for work..I've lived in Sydney for almost 2 years, i moved down from north coast... I have some family here too... my sister and i are close..it would be hard living here if she wasnt here too cos she is a strong support for us.

I too have a little boy... he isnt crawling yet, but just starting to get very playful... i am constantly entertaining him... but i do enjoy it i love being a mum! Just nice to have a break though ..its definately a necessity to have your own time..

I am still breastfeeding so im limited to what i can and cant do and how long i can do that for!!!

What about yourself?

Oh and im also interested in joining a gym, or sport or something!

Wow, that's close!! We should definitely meet up. I have just joined fernwood gym in beverly hills. Are you interested in joining? I tend to go after Dh gets home at about 7:15-7:30. They have some good classes on the weekend too. It has actually helped me to feel abit better.

I understand with the breastfeeding, I was in the same boat up to a few months ago. Unfortunately Julian wasn't gaining weight and the pediatrician advised that we moved him on to formula. He is nearly 10 months old and crawling all over the place. He's sick at the moment with a virus and an ear infection so he is not a happy chappy. I'd love to meet up as soon as he gets better. Maybe end of next week, early the week after? Have you ever been to Oatley? We could grab a coffee there and then go for a walk if the weather is good? What do you think?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Jan.. that sounds great. Oatley is a nice place..I will email you privately to organise when and where.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12