Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old should they be when they??

muma Guest

Red face How old should they be when they??

How old did you start your baby on water?
    juice?
    i have been told that my 9 week old lachlan should be starting water every now and then, and then juice in bout 4-5weeks. i didnt think they should have juice till about 6months. my nurse told me to give it to him to.
    so what do you guys think what would you do?? or what did you do?

Personally I'd say no...

Thats just me... I breastfeed though so Seth only has breastmilk and nothing else. I personally wouldn't introduce juice till 12 mths...

*hugs*
    Cailin

I agree with Cailin, Indah has cows milk now (she is almost 1 yr) during the day & booby in morning & night & water, she has never had any juice & I never gave Maddy juice til she was much older too, it was Milk or Water for a long time...

TZJI Guest

Him

I was tolg juice was ok from 6mths, but Jayden was around 18mths when he first had juice and now rarly has any.

Zoe

beastie Guest

as long as you breastfeed there is no need to give him anything else (maybe some water whens its very hot)

dont give hin juice, he's only 9 weeks. think of allergies he could get

Kirsty77 Guest

Gem's on formula and milk and water only. I refuse to give her juice as its so high in sugar and can rot their teeth.

muma Guest

thanks for all replies. i do not breastfeed as i could only do it for the first 2weeks i was into much pain and just couldnt do it, i hated my self coz i couldnt do it and was cryin for weeks. his on s26 gold. and the nurse says to give him water incase he gets thirsty. i havnt givin him either of them, i wanted to no what you guys thought on here. thanks heaps xoxo

Fire Fly Guest

I think my kids were about 8/9 months before i introduced water. And that was just cause it was a hot day and it was only little sips, not a full on drink. I think Dd was past 1 before i introduced Juice. Not really a huge fan of sugar in there mouth, even if it is natural.
    Even now she only really drinks water.

muma Guest

yeah thanks. i was just worried that if i did give him water like my nurse keeps saying. he would or could get sick and windy and i figure he would get belly aches and stuff, and after he is only todaygetting over the flu poor lil man, i dont wanna risk him feeling any worse then what he has. his only wanted me the past few days ive had no sleep and got the nurse in my ear sayin give him water do this do that.

littlerigger Guest

I give ryan extra water as he gets constipated from formula. Occaisionally this can be a problem and a good reason to offer extra water.

Kirsty77 Guest

Gemma HATED water for like the first 7-8months! It was s nightmare giving it to her. Actually only now at nearly 12 months does she actually drink it without spitting it out!hehehe And breast feeding I couldn't do either, I lasted less then 2 weeks. My milk supply was horrid and my nipples bleed...oh it was a nightmare and yeh I beat myself up about it to! The juice thing I should explain...I'm totally paranoid about Gem's teeth rotting! I had a friend (who's since moved) that her little girls teeth rotted!!YIKES! Now I'm so paranoid its not even funny!ROFL!

A little water won't hurt him, but I wouldn't give him juice - there is really no need. My MCHN told me that babies don't need anything to drink in the first 12 months besides milk (formula or BM) and water, and even after 12 months juice is not really necessary.

muma Guest

oh thanks guys at least now i may give him some water when it heats up abit and def no juice i didnt wanna give juice coz i dont want him to spend his life at dentist. that would suck. when his like nearly 2 and he can have little bit but now much
    thanks

Muma, Mackenzie was FF and she had water from about 2 months due to constipation. The MCHN advised me to give this to her. In saying that it was the smallest amount. She now (at 2 years old) only has cows milk and water. She tried juice (watered down) a couple of times but she doesn't like it and thats fine by me. I will continue to offer her milk and water for as long as I can get away with it!

I would say that if you are getting enough wet nappies in a day then you don't need to worry about dehydration. If there aren't many wet nappies try some water. I introduced small amounts of water from about 6 months. Now at 18 months DS drinks only cow's milk (3 times a day) and water the rest of the day (as advised by paediatrician, MCHN and dietician). I had heard somewhere that I should introduce juice at 18 months so asked my friend who is a dietician and she said definitely NO. She said juice is too concentrated and too high in sugar (even the ones with no added sugar). She also said that it's risky to introduce sweet drinks as he might then want them instead of water. She said a piece of fruit with a drink of water is the way to go. HTH.

Melanie

Hi!

Louis loves his water and has for a good 2-3months. He has his little cup and guzzles it down. He's had very watered down juice on a couple of occassions only. He guzzled that down as well so it will only be a treat every now and then and as I said very watered down. Also I only give him a few mouthfuls not a whole cup of it....Otherwise he is just b/f and also has a bit of cows milk as a drink (he doesn't really like it though on its own)

Fee Guest

I'm surprised a nurse told you to give your 9 week old juice and water. Babies do not need water, even in hot weather.

I think if you do want to give you baby water, you wait until they are 6 months (and it should be boiled first).

I don't know why so many people are in a hurry to give juice to babies! And especially before they've even started solids is ridiculous! DS is over 10 months and only has formula then some water with his meals (just to get him used to the taste of water so he likes it...) I might start giving him very diluted juice when he's 12 months, but then again he eats heaps of fruit which is better anyway, so why bother????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast