Thread: How old when went down to one sleep?

Default How old when went down to one sleep?

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering how old your little ones were when they dropped down to one sleep? Olivia has increased her overnight sleep (definitely not complaining about that ) but now she is having a 3 hour late morning/early arvo sleep and won't go down again.
    She is 1 on Friday and I can't help but think that she is too little for only one slep a day.

TIA,
    A very confused mummy.

My son went down to one sleep when he was 13 months. He decided he wasn't interested anymore and became very upset when I tried to encourage a second nap. In the end I gave up and he has been very happy. His afternoon sleep has extended to about 2 hrs instead of 1 to 1.5 hrs and he sleeps throughout the night. I can't complain.

Hey Dan, It is so hard to know isn't it? I would take Livvy's cue, if she seems like she still needs it I would give it to her. If you think she is sleeping too long, maybe go stomp around near her door after a good time - say 2 hours, turn the vacuum on etc so that she wakes naturally without you physically being in there IYKWIM!?? That's what I occasionally do with Izzy.
    She is still on 2 a day and sleeps for pretty much 1 1/2 -2 hours at both sleeps and doesn't really fuss when I put her down so I know she isn't ready to cut it out yet.
    Good luck with it! Can you believe our little babies are nearly one!

Yep, around the 12 month mark both my girls went down to 1 sleep - it was always the morning sleep they dropped, and would still go down after lunch for 2 hours...

holy cow, three hours!!!!!!! that is awesome i'd be ecstatic with that.

my little one is 13 months and either has two 45 minute sleeps (one morning, one afternoon), or if she has a longer sleep in the morning of around 1hr to 1.5hrs, she usually won't take a second nap, so that means she is up from around noon until bedtime around 7.30-8pm, which is full on! i'd give anything for a few solid hours to myself in the day but she is so active and has never cared for sleep much.

Hello...my DD is 14 months...she still has 2 sleeps but they are fairly short sleeps...at best and hour and a half in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. If we are out in the afternoon she will get by without an afternoon sleep but will be well and truly ready for bed, but she gets real sooky if she doesn't have a morning nap. She also sleeps through the night 7pm to 7am...I would go by your daughters signals...she'll let you know when she wants to sleep and when she doesn't.

My DS#1 was 18 months was 18 months old when he dropped his second nap, but all babies are different so don't let it stress you out

Hey!

I don't remember exactly, but Emy has only just turned 1, and has been having only 1 nap a day for ages. I would have to say that it would have to be maybe 3 months though, so that would make it from when she was 9 months old.

So anyway, since she has been only having the one daytime sleep, she gets up at 8am-ish, then has her nap at 11:30ish to 1:30ish, and then goes to bed for the night at 7pm-ish.

I have always just gone by her cues for when she has her sleeps, and have really worried about it - at least with only having the one sleep, she gets a longer sleep, so I get more time to myself to potter around the house, instead of the two 45min sleeps she used to have, when I would just start to get stuck into something, and then she would wake up.

paradise lost Guest

DD was aboutr 13-14 months and she dropped her 2nd nap! Which totally confused me at the time as she'd been:
    Up at 7.30am
    Nap at 11am
    Nap at 3pm
    Bed at 7.30pm

So it was crazy at first as i'd get her up, give her breakfast and then put her back to bed! LOL.

But she slowly began to shuffle the nap later and later and now (25months) she does:
    Up at 8am
    Lunch at 12pm
    Nap at 1pm (75-120mins depending)
    Bed at 8pm

Don't worry too much about it. If she took one nap, rejected the second and then got grumpy i just put her to bed earlier in the evening.

HTH

Jack wouldn't sleep more than once a day from about 7 months. I don't think he was getting enough sleep, he was so tired in the afternoon, but he wouldn't sleep any more (he didn't want to miss anything . Tom still has 2 sleeps some days and he's 19 months!! They are all different!!

I think babies will let you know when they are ready for one day sleep. DD was 12 months when she changed to just the one.

14.5 months here,

Gets up between 8-9am,
    Goes for nap 2 hrs after getting up (10-11)
    Naps for 3 hrs (1-2)
    Goes to bed at 8

My DS is 19 months old and he is still having 2 day sleeps. We have tried him on 1 day sleep numerous times but he's just not ready. I know some babies who have had 1 day sleep from under 1 year old and others who are nearly 2 and still sleep twice a day. They are all so different! Good luck!

Our DS was 13 months when he gave up his 2nd day sleep. It corresponded to us moving house though so maybe he would have kept it a bit longer. He now sleeps for about 2 hours at midday.

You keep forgetting how different every baby is. Well little madam fall asleep at 7pm last night without her bedtime bottle and got up at 5am!!!!! That is just not happening again!!! I'm going to let her guide us if she doesn't start this 5am getting up if she does mummy might be mean and make her have two sleeps.
    Thanks for all your help and advice everyone. It's greatly appreicated.