Thread: How to spot a UTI?

Default How to spot a UTI?

OK, Milo has been pulling at his nappy a lot lately. Its not dirty, or too tight, and sometimes he seems quite uncomfy.
    When I change him he is very interested in his boy bits, but mum (who minds him mondays and tuesdays) says he was doing it yesterday but wasn't happy.
    He isn't circumsized.

So, what are the symptoms of a UTI? If I take him to the doctors, how will they know if thats what it is, do they do some sort of test or just based on what I say, cos a lot of the symptoms are going by what mum saw, not me.

Oh, he did have a high temp for a bit on Saturday, but it went down in less than 24 hours.

They will want you to collect some of his urine and will send it away to be tested.

Symptoms I have noticed are:
    - grabbing at crotch whenever doing a wee (sometimes acting like they are in pain)
    - urine that smells bad or 'funny'
    - reduced urination
    -a redness at the tip of the penis
    - high temperature

If you suspect it, its probably best to get him checked out, because they can get worse pretty quickly and are very uncomfortable for the little ones.
    (Aidyn had one last year, and it was AWFUL, he was really unwell...)
    Last edited by Ambah; February 21st, 2007 at 01:22 PM. Reason: adding something

We supsected Zander had one last week due to the same things you've said & I took him to the Drs. I was supposed to try & catch a wee sample, but it was absolutely impossible. When he was checked out he had a tiny little scratch on his foreskin so the wee was stinging it and that's why I didn't end up bothering with the sample.

Ned had one just before Christmas. Keep in mind though he also had a kidney abscess (which may have caused the UTI or the other way round - we'll never know) anyway, symptoms were really difficult to spot, and doc didn't even believe me he was sick (until he was very very ill and we were on our way to hospital!). He had a sudden temp that went up to around 38.6 but then went away quickly with panadol, grunting when peeing and had a very odd cry (he was only 3 months). It was only with me pushing that the doc did wee sample in the first place! If in doubt just insist on getting it checked out. Whenever i am slightly worried about a uti now, i just have to phone the docs and the paperwork is waiting for pathology!

Mackenzie had a high temp with both the UTI's shes had. In saying that her last one which was in Jan she also had some type of virus at the same time so I'm not necessarly saying a high temp indicates a UTI. take him to the Doc just to make sure.

hi guys we are going first thing in the morning.
    ATM I think he is waking up everytime he wets his nappy
    There was no redness when I looked at bathtime, but things looked different to normal so will get it checked out

Yeap Rach, they are really hard to spot and symptoms are a bit vague for a UTI. Get it checked - if it's not one then great, if it is then you can fix it - all good!

yay. no UTI.

The doctor reckons the weird looking-ness is cos Milo has a loose foreskin, which apparently is good UTI wise - he reckons tighter ones are more likely to have UTIs? Not sure I couldn't get to see my usual doctor.

He actually pulled it back a fair bit, I thought you weren't supposed to do that? It didn't bother Milo any.

Oh thats good news Rachael!!

Maybe because Milo's foreskin is loose is why he pulled it back so much?? I dont really know....