Thread: how to stop wrapping baby?

Default how to stop wrapping baby?

I have a friend with a 6 month old baby and they are still wrapping her. She wakes when she becomes unwrapped so they need to rewrap to get her back to sleep.

She wants to know how she can break this habit so she will sleep without needing to be wrapped at all?

any suggestions welcome

Hi - I'd be keen to hear people's answers to this - my Alex is four months old now and I've just started wrapping him with one arm out - maybe that is the trick leave a bit unwrapped at a time ??

He was getting one or both arms out even while I was wrapping him.

Barb.

GeorgieK Guest

Id love to hear what everyone has to say about this too - James is nealy 7 months and we started wrapping him about 8 weeks ago (he was never really wrapped as a newborn). It started at childcare, because he would startle when another baby cried; now if he isnt wrapped he plays with his toy and hurls his arms around. But of course he can wriggle out and then has to be wrapped again!

So, not a solution, sorry, but someone interested in hearing one!

Georgie

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Start with one arm out, then two arms, then gradually remove it?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Yasin liked being wrapped until about 8 or 9 months and even now he still likes his wraps as comforters when he goes to sleep.
    The older he got the more he wriggled out of it so we just put it looser and looser so that eventually we were just putting it over him as a blanket not wrapping him in it.

I started wrapping Emma with one arm out, like Kelly suggested & she slept well. Now I've got her in a bonds sleeping bag (with sleeves but just a zip up bag at the bottom) & she sleeps fine in that. The one night I didnt put her in it because it was too hot, she woke crying twice & I'm sure it was because she wasnt in her sleeping bag!

Hi,
    I worried about this for weeks with Evan! I was worried that he would want to be wrapped until he was 15! LOL! And i was also thinking he might be too warm in the summer, and another reason for wanting him not to be wrapped was that other people might have more success getting him to sleep as i was the only one that could really wrap him the way he liked it!

He was always fully wrapped from birth to 5 months old. From around about 5 months i realised that he liked to have his arms out, but still liked the security of the wrap. At about 6 months i discovered the grobag, and haven't looked back since. I was hesitant about spending out that money because they aren't cheap and if they don't sleep in it its a waste. Anyway, i ended up getting one and he slept beautifully in it. Went from one sleep wrapped, the next in a grobag and has slept in that ever since. I'm a big fan of the grobag!

Have also since discovered that you can get them heaps cheaper on the UK eBay site (even with the exchange rate and shipping).

Good luck, and i can say that i think that when bubs is ready to be 'unwrapped' he'll let you know!

Linds

DS#1 was wrapped for ages, i can't exactly remember till when but somewhere between 8 and 12 months. I just started making it looser so he could still feel it around him for security and after a few weeks got to the point of just laying it over or next to him. Once he was happy with that he used it as a security item so as he got older i chopped up a coloured piece of cotton material (similar fabric to a wrap) into handkerchief sizes for him to take to bed and have as his comfort item, this lasted until he was 3.5yrs, he took it in his pocket to preschool to have at rest time and to settle with at home if upset and at bed time.

We stopped wrapping Milo about 2 weeks ago, so at about 3 months, cos he really didn't like his arms in.

I stared just wrapping his body, then we wapped to a grobag about a week ago and he loves it.

I can honestly say that Kaitlyn LOVEEEESSS being wrapped . She sees that wrap and relaxes it is amazing. She tends to through her arms around like she has not control over them if she is not wrapped and pulls her dummy out and then crys . Dont know how I will ever get her out of being wrapped :-k

I kept wrapping Olivia until she was 14 months old, both arms were still wrapped up, even thou at this age she would get out of the wrap it was a comfort for her.

I was lucky and didnt have the problem of her crying when unwrapped, but i did eventually start leaving her arms out in order to "wean" her of being wrapped.. Her muslin wrap is her security item at 2 years of age.. !

DD was wrapped until about 7 months. I just couldn't be bothered one day and that was the end of it. That was around the same time as she started crawling, so she used to move around in the cot anyway.