Thread: I have a grumpy/serious baby!

Default I have a grumpy/serious baby!

Hi,

I have a 5 month old DS who is very serious, you really have to ham it up to get him to crack a smile/laugh. I don't know if it's bse I'm comparing him to my DD who at his age was such a smiler n a giggler but now I'm beginning to panic that something might be developmentally wrong with him. He gives us eye contact and he has his favourite songs that usually make him smile, he likes it when I get him to clap his hands etc, but he's just not a "regularly" happy baby. He doesn't screech or cry all the time it's just that he always looks so pensive and serious.... is this a phase or a personality trait or is it a symptom of something seriously wrong?

I'd say personality trait cos my DS was exactly the same, whereas the girls are much more easygoing and cruisy.

He's 3.5 now and is always cracking us up with something - so I wouldn't worry too much Nothing wrong with strong, serious, silent type for a man

I wouldn't worry, my little Elijah was like that, not so much now though... he all of a sudden really had a big personality breakout one day and isn't quite so serious. He is more cuddly than Oskar was too, just comes up and cuddles me. He's just the contemplative more serious one. Oskar was and still is the little clown lol.

My little one is quite a serious wee thing at times, frowns a lot and yeah, we have to work quite hard sometimes to get her laughing. Just a personality trait I guess. Once she is laughing, there is sometimes no stopping her!!

Sue xx

Same here - S was always a very serious little thing. Even now he still tends to more contemplative, it's just the way he is. But he certainly laughs a lot more than he used to... I found that compared to him, T was much earlier to laugh, and she also seemed to show a sense of humour earlier, so perhaps it's just a boy-girl difference as the others have said.