Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think my baby is hurt .. please help

Peach Guest

Default I think my baby is hurt .. please help

This afternoon my DD#1 was playing with my 5 months old. she rolled her over from her tummy to her back and her arm got caught to the side and DD kept rolling her. This is totally my fault even thought DD#1 is 11 she is not responsible for my baby. She cried and cried and cried when I put her on the boob (never does this ever) I tried to give her a spoon to hold and she didnt reach for it. I put her on the change table and put the affected arm up above her head and she moved it back to her chest (still crying) my DH is at work till late and he has taken the car.

Has this happened to anyone else???

She is asleep on my bed... she finally fed and fed herself off to sleep.

What should I do ??

I'll leave her till she wakes up and then have another look at her arm

I feel absolutly rotten

:hugs:
    im sure she will be fine , maybe got a bit bent in the wrong way , but i do def think if she wakes up sore and crying , take her to a doc , better still get a house call , after hours docotrs come to your house , you may have to wait a bit , but atleast its not at the hossy and you can keep her comfy , try some panadol or nurofen while you wait .. and dont worry , when i turned my back (just for a second), and i thought dh was watching him ) nixon fell down a flight of stairs .. now i am def not proud of that ..

if you live in the brisbane area i can give you an after hours number ... its free for kids under 16

rallybbek Guest

Hi jen,
    Take her to see a doc as soon as you can to make sure she is ok and put your mind at rest.
    Good luck.
    Bec

Peach Guest

Thanks so much for answering Nixonsmama, I just feel sick at the moment. She is still asleep I guess if it was broken or something she wouldnt sleep would she .. I am such a "panicer" I just tears me up knowing she is hurt you know what i mean?

Peach Guest

Bec I havent got a car till 1pm tonight... otherwise id be at the docs right now.

jen

when my son was around 18months old, he climbed out of his cot one morning, to my surprise, there was a bang, but no tears or crying, this was around 8 am in the morning, me and dh were home, i watched him for the next few hours and noticed he didnt look like he was in anyt pain, but he was holding his arm in an unusual way, i told dh i think we better take him to the doc, and he kept saying he will be fine, arond 12 noon i told dh im taking him to hospital as i think he broke his arm, and sure enough a couple hours later it was confirmed........didnt i feel like a twit, but he was walking around as if nothing happened.

i hope it all works out, but i would go see a doc, just to be sure.

Jen, first of all a big hug to you. Now take a deep breath. When Mackenzie wakes up see how she is going. Move her arm gently, see if she can move it by herself. Even in her sleep she will move around. If her arm is damaged in any way she is going to cry as it will hurt her. Babies are tough little people, their bones are so soft that it is actually quite hard to break them.

Hi Jen, you poor thing hun..but like Lea said I'm sure she will be fine. Please don't be upset with yourself..
    If she is reluctant to move her arm, she may quite possibly have a 'Pulled Elbow'..have you heard of that before? Quite common in toddlers, but that may be what has happened. I would give her some neurofen too when she wakes, and then maybe someone else can take you down to see a doctor so they can have a look. They can have a feel of her arm and see if anything has popped out of place which can happen with kids joints (I may be completely way off track! just offering a possibility). Or maybe it just got stretched a bit and is just still a bit tender.

The great thing is, kids are soo tough and recover so quickly! I'm sure it will all be fine, but I would get it checked out.

if you cant get the car definatley ring after hours and get them to come to your place , i dont know where you are but you can probably find them in the phone book , or ring 1800 health ..

how is she now ?

Jen, if she's crying it's OK. If her arm was broken or dislocated she'd be in too much pain to cry. That's not to say don't get it checked, but just a general reassurance.

Accidents happen - that's why they're called accidents. DS has launched himself off the sofa to the floor, stood up and pushed me away onlyto fall, he loves to headbutt the table and scratch himself... actually, yes, I am a bad mother. But the point was going to be that babies have loads of hurts and are made resiliant for that reason.

Peach Guest

I have to go to the hospital i phoned the Dr and they said take her up because she woke up and jumped when I moved it.. but they said it will be ok to wait till DH gets home.I have wrapped her so her arm is tightly immobile and that has stopped her crying. I also noticed a bruise under her arm pit. You are right Rosehip Fairy .. she is not crying like "excruciating pain " cry .. although she cried more when i move it...

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I just wish my DH was home. I would feel better having transport.
    Last edited by Peach; November 7th, 2007 at 06:09 PM.

Can you ring your DH and tell him what's happened? Maybe he can come home earlier. I hope everything is ok *hugs*

Oh Jen honey!! Sending you hugs and thoughts and prayers.......thinking of you and your girls.....I really hope all is ok love. Don't beat yourself up either! You are a wonderful, loving, caring and fantastic mum to both your girls.........its so tricky when we don't have a pair of eyes or ears that we can leave behind if we leave the room!! Let us know how you go xx

*hugs* Jen how scary I hope that you get in as soon as you can.

thinking of you , she will be fine , if not , like you said a little brusied ...... i hope your feeling a bit better now you know your going to see some one ?

Peach Guest

She is asleep again.. she was waking intermittently and crying. I do feel alot better now, althought I am not looking forward to sitting at the hospital for 5 hours waiting to see someone because she wont be deemed as critical ..

Peach Guest

i am going to go up ad get some panadol before I take her. Does anyone knowif woolworths sells childrens panadol?

No they dont hun - its pharmacy only I think. Good luck hun - hope shes ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast