Thread: i want him off!

Colleen Guest

Default i want him off!

Jaykob just cut three top teeth all within 2 days & he already has the two bottom ones...

When he got the bottom ones, I persisted when he bit me and kept feeding but now, i think im ready to wean.
    I know breast is best etc but I planned to wean him at 6 months anyway & we are at 9.5 months so Im ready!

Thing is he wont take formula... I have had a similar thread before but nothing worked for me.. I have tried expressing & he plays with it and drinks about 2 mouthfuls and starts to cry, if he gets the taste for formula he SCREAMS..

Ive tried diff bottles, diff teats, cups, sippers you name it, ive tried it

He wont take a dummy either....

But yeah, any suggestions, similar situation advice is welcome!

OUCHIES!!!! It hurts so much when they decide to give you a bite doesn't it and it makes feeding a really scary prospect. I wish I could give you some advice - maybe your ECHN could help you.

mooshie Guest

hi colleen

i so know what you mean - my ds was 12wks old when he cut his first 2 teeth and he would bite me alllllllll the time, plus he was a terrible feeder off and on all the time so i weaned him early. anyway have you tried different formula's. when i started weaning lani i started with karicare she hated it (and it smells awful to) i then used nan which is "supposed" to be closest to breast milk and we haven't looked back - she is now going on to the nan toddler milk.

you could always try gently getting jaykob onto formula but it may take some effort try mixing ebm and formula - for eg when i had to move from cows formula to soya formula when ds was 9mths old (he had a dairy allergy) he hated it so i did the following, it may work for you but you will need to do it with expressed breast milk - anyways here is what you might be able to do

days 1, 2 & 3 - every bottle 2/3rds breastmilk with 1/3rd formula
    days 3, 4 & 5 - 1/2 breastmilk and 1/2 formula
    days 6, 7 & 8 - 1/3rd breastmilk and 2/3rd formula
    day 9 onwards - all formula

good luck - is it the taste of the formula or the actual taking of the bottle? it can be a trying time, so thinking of you. good luck

Debbie Lee Guest

Ouch, Colleen!

I asked my Mum what she did when we bit her whilst feeding. She said we soon learnt not to bite when she would take us off straight away, sit us on the floor and firmly say "No!". She said we would get a look on our faces when we were about to bite and she would say "No!" very firmly on those ocassions too.

Still, I don't blame you for wanting to wean! Ouch!

I did what Deb said Colleen. Put him on the floor and tell him no biting. Hopefully he will learn.
    Does he give a cheeky grin or play around a bit before he bites you? You may catch him out before he thinks about doing it. Little monkey [-X

Colleen Guest

Ive tried the firm no..

He doesnt do anything really before he does it , he is usually mid feed half asleep, he does try to bury his head when he does it though.

oh wells, i guess we'll see what happens