Thread: Ideas for toys & games for a 19 month old

Question Ideas for toys & games for a 19 month old

Hi all, with Christmas and Hannah's birthday approaching way too quickly Ive been giving a fair bit of thought to presents. I really like giving her things that are fun but are going to help her development and not just the latest plastic stuff that only keeps her interest for the first few times.

So....my question is, what toys and/or games have you found your 19 month-2yr old has had the most enjoyment from?

ATM kat loves kicking a small soft soccerball around the yard, we also throw the beachball around. Our game is pick it up and throw it backwards over your head and see where it lands, chase it repeat. It teaches her hand eye co-ordination and she's almost catching it when I toss it to her now.... She loves her trike (has a parents handle to push her along, tho I don't use it as often as I'd like to as it's hard to push that and a pram!)....and to be honest, she loves cardboard boxes..... Oh, We're buying a swing set and a jumping castle for the girls christmas/birthday presents. Also hoping to get them a slide too as they both love that! Kat's not much older than ur bub and Jess is younger. We figure even if they only play on it every now and then, when they are 2-3 they'll be wanting to play on it more and more so we can't go wrong! *L*

At 19 months Olivia really got into blocks of all descriptions, and building "big towers".....(and then knocking them down again!). She has a set of plastic duplo style ones, a set of big wooden ones, and also a "box of boxes"......10 boxes that all slip into each other.....those ones particularly are still going strong now....

Matilda started just getting into dolls and roll play, so for her second birthday we got her a doll & a pram & she plays with them heaps still. She also was into blocks, she has mega blocks & I got her a pack and mum bought her a wagon filled with them. She pulls the wagon around the house & builds towers & knocks them over.

And wooden puzzles too! I asked for these for Christmas & she got around 5 of them & loved them, still does.

I agree, block and dolls and prams are all good buys......at this stage they role play and love being like mummy

Ooooh, I forgot the stroller! Good point.......we bought Olivia, for Christmas when we was 22 months, a baby doll (who she calls Baby Darla?!) and a stroller and a little bag with a big and feeding gear........HUGE hit.......she and Darla have all sorts of games together.

The other thing she got for her 2nd birthday which she is still VERY keen on is a set of cooking implements: as Christy mentioned, role play is just kicking in, and Olivia will often announce to me "just doing some cooking Mummy.......".....and she is off in a world of her own.......

Melinda Guest

Mega Blocks are great aren't they - as well as the stacking/nest variety of blocks that Lucy mentioned. Jacob has both of these and has an absolute riot with them. Wooden peg-style puzzles are good, as are shape-sorters.

Jacob also has a baby doll that he plays with and he loves it. I've also seen him playing with some of his little friends toy cooking things and he thinks they are great too!

We also found that about that age Jacob was starting to enjoy drawing and stuff, so big crayons/markers/pencils that are easy to hold are great (just the action of taking the lids on and off the markers keeps him amused a lot of the time!), as well as blackboards etc to scribble on.......

I have recently bought DS the Fisher Price Pop Ons. They are kind of like a lego type system, but much more fun!! (for Mum and Bub)